Posted to rec.audio.misc
Cory Cory is offline

Default Line In Amp for RCA Stereo

I'm looking for a cheap way to boost my line-in (RCA Stereo Jacks) signal.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Cory writes:

I'm looking for a cheap way to boost my line-in (RCA Stereo Jacks) signal.
Any suggestions?

From what to what? I.e. what voltage range do you need to get to?

Battery operated, or AC power supply?

If it happens to be for a turntable, and you need RIAA eq, then this
fits the bill
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...amp?sku=187200

If you don't need RIAA eq, this little mixer should give you all the
gain you'd need, and a lot of flexibility to boot:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...xer?sku=631239

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Skaarak Skaarak is offline

Hi, going from Line In levels to pretty much Line Out levels (I'm sending
a signal across 50 ft of cable, its well shielded but seems to be coming in
soft to my recorder. I'd like to boost it just a bit so that I get a
stronger
signal at the end.

I'd prefer AC powered but could be talked into battery.

-Cory
ps. I think that Eurorack will do it (via the tape in / tape out pieces) but
not 100% sure.

"Todd H." wrote in message
Cory writes:

I'm looking for a cheap way to boost my line-in (RCA Stereo Jacks)
signal.
Any suggestions?

From what to what? I.e. what voltage range do you need to get to?

Battery operated, or AC power supply?

If it happens to be for a turntable, and you need RIAA eq, then this
fits the bill
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...amp?sku=187200

If you don't need RIAA eq, this little mixer should give you all the
gain you'd need, and a lot of flexibility to boot:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...xer?sku=631239

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ |
http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

"Skaarak" writes:

Hi, going from Line In levels to pretty much Line Out levels (I'm sending
a signal across 50 ft of cable, its well shielded but seems to be coming in
soft to my recorder. I'd like to boost it just a bit so that I get a
stronger
signal at the end.

I'd prefer AC powered but could be talked into battery.

You might consider direct injection boxes for that run. Go from RCA
to a 1/4" male, and then into this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDI20

This will buffer your signal, and send it down balanced XLR cables,
connoting much better noise immunity on that 50ft run than you can
achieve on a single ended signal.

Does your recorder have balanced inputs?

ps. I think that Eurorack will do it (via the tape in / tape out pieces) but
not 100% sure.

Yes it will. THe master gain provides gain to the tape in to the main
out at least. I believe it would also send an amplified signal to
tape out.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Skaarak Skaarak is offline

Okay, so the specific hook up is this:

I have a TIVO, using the RCA outs (L/R) I go into a switch
box which goes to the 50' cable (monster) that ends up at my
PC which has a LINE-IN jack (RCA L/R).

I also go from a DVD player to the switch box and to the
computer.

On my computer I record audio/video for home use. It doesn't
have to be super perfect, but at least a good quality. I used to
run the inputs in to a LINE-IN2 that had a gain control I could
use, but it was a 1/4" jack and the left (or right) side lost
connection and so I lost my stereo sound.

The RCA inputs on my computer are great for their connection, but
are just quiet. I usually boost my audio in software (about 130-140%)
on post but I forget sometimes, and its not always great (and there is
a slight ground loop buzz that I kinda doubt I'll ever get rid of, but eh).

I'm not sure if any part of my set up is balanced or not (probably not).

So I'm not really looking for something complicated, just a way to
increase that line level closer to the source rather than in post
processing.
(Cause its just a pain there).

That $30 mixer is pretty cool, just hook the input into the tape-in and
output to my 50' line I think will get me where I wanted to go. Kinda
too bad I don't need the other features of it. It almost seems like a
waste of some good parts.

So I'm not sure if that helped at all in describing my issue. I figured I
could find a Line-In Stereo RCA booster for relatively cheap ($30 or
under), I was just having problems finding one that wouldn't mix to
mono (as I'd like to keep the stereo signal).

-Cory
ps. Thanks a bunch for the links & ideas.

"Todd H." wrote in message
"Skaarak" writes:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

"Skaarak" writes:

The RCA inputs on my computer are great for their connection, but
are just quiet. I usually boost my audio in software (about 130-140%)
on post but I forget sometimes, and its not always great (and there is
a slight ground loop buzz that I kinda doubt I'll ever get rid of,
but eh).

Are you adjusting the windows mixer's input volume control? It's
rather hidden by default and more gain may be available.

I'm not sure if any part of my set up is balanced or not (probably
not).

If it's a computer you're terminating into, probably not.

So I'm not really looking for something complicated, just a way to
increase that line level closer to the source rather than in post
processing. (Cause its just a pain there).

That $30 mixer is pretty cool, just hook the input into the tape-in and
output to my 50' line I think will get me where I wanted to go. Kinda
too bad I don't need the other features of it. It almost seems like a
waste of some good parts.

But at $30 it's gonna be the cheapest you can find.

So I'm not sure if that helped at all in describing my issue. I figured I
could find a Line-In Stereo RCA booster for relatively cheap ($30 or
under), I was just having problems finding one that wouldn't mix to
mono (as I'd like to keep the stereo signal).

Absolutely. Get the mixer and be done with it. It's rare $30
solves a problem like this. :-)

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband
Posted to rec.audio.misc
GregS GregS is offline

In article . 89, Cory wrote:
I'm looking for a cheap way to boost my line-in (RCA Stereo Jacks) signal.
Any suggestions?

I don't understand why the level should be low. But, most line out are
high Z to begin with. 100 to 1 K ohm. Any preamp will boost the level.
An isolation transformer should be used to get rid of hum, allthough you have to keep the
isolator away from equipment which can actuall pick up transformer hum.
You can also use a small stereo amp to drive the isolation transformer.

greg