Posted to rec.audio.misc
Neil Green Neil Green is offline

Default Audio editing.

Hi all.
I've been converting cassette tapes to digital format
for a local group, all spoken word, no music.
So far it's gone well using an oldish Technics deck
and my PC, and I've managed to eliminate things like
tape rumble and hiss using the standard filters in
Sound Forge.
A couple of the cassettes I have now are problematic.
They were recorded years ago by persons no longer with
us and when the speaker says "s", "t" or "ch", the
sound is very sharp and scratchy.
I've tried with some success to eliminate this using a
notch filter but I need some help.
How do I determine which frequencies to target and
which filter would be the most appropriate to use?
Is there a program which can analyze the sound so I
can identify which sections need fixing?
I am very much a novice at this sort of thing so I
would be grateful for any help.
Thanks
Neil.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

"Neil Green" writes:

I am very much a novice at this sort of thing so I
would be grateful for any help.

I'd have to think there's a de-esser plugin for cool edit or protools
LE or something?

May give you something to look for at least. In the analog realm, a
de-esser was the thing for this situation. You won't be able to fix
it entirely, but it may help. Compressing the track might help keep
these from really being loud as well.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to rec.audio.misc

"Todd H." wrote in message
"Neil Green" writes:

I am very much a novice at this sort of thing so I
would be grateful for any help.

I'd have to think there's a de-esser plugin for cool
edit or protools
LE or something?

May give you something to look for at least. In the
analog realm, a
de-esser was the thing for this situation. You
won't be able to fix
it entirely, but it may help. Compressing the track
might help keep
these from really being loud as well.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / |
http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette |
http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ |
http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband

Thanks very much Todd.
I was able to find a freeware de-esser (Spitfish)
which does a great job.
The tracks aren't perfect but they are very much
better.
Neil.