Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

Default Gear drive turntables, the Answer.

Gear drive turntables provide the lowest possible maintenance. New
developments in synthetic hypoid oil, combined with a concentric rubber
shaft coupling, will finally permit the creation of equipment with a hundred
year lifetime.

Hypoid turntables -- when the vinyl hits the road!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret Ludwig

Several of these were built, particularly the washing-machine-size
Fairchild transcription tables. They were very heavy and gave marginal
performance even when new.

Since belt drive tables are perfectly satisfactory for audiophiles and
direct drive ones perfectly satisfactory for DJs, why reinvent the
wheel?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...
Several of these were built, particularly the washing-machine-size
Fairchild transcription tables. They were very heavy and gave marginal
performance even when new.

Since belt drive tables are perfectly satisfactory for audiophiles and
direct drive ones perfectly satisfactory for DJs, why reinvent the
wheel?

The key is platter mass. A gear drive turntable is capable of driving a much
heavier platter. Since amplifiers of over a hundred pounds weight are in
common use, why not a comparable platter mass?

I do know someone who, while a grad student at the University of London,
constructed a turntable for which the platter was a manhole cover. It was
reputed to have excellent performance.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

I do know someone who, while a grad student at the University of London,
constructed a turntable for which the platter was a manhole cover. It was
reputed to have excellent performance.

Ah, so that explains the 8 missing persons in Ladbroke Grove..

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

I do know someone who, while a grad student at the University of London,
constructed a turntable for which the platter was a manhole cover. It was
reputed to have excellent performance.

Ah, so that explains the 8 missing persons in Ladbroke Grove..

No obstacle shall stand in the way of ruthless pursuit of perception.
Rather, it shall fall down a hole.

"Mikey, come take a look at this interesting turntable. Whoops!"

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 18:16:11 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

Gear drive turntables provide the lowest possible maintenance. New
developments in synthetic hypoid oil, combined with a concentric rubber
shaft coupling, will finally permit the creation of equipment with a hundred
year lifetime.

Hypoid turntables -- when the vinyl hits the road!

I suppose you know what "Hypoid" means..

ps. Citroen inverted what type of gear?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

wrote:

Gear drive turntables provide the lowest possible maintenance. New
developments in synthetic hypoid oil, combined with a concentric rubber
shaft coupling, will finally permit the creation of equipment with a
hundred
year lifetime.

Hypoid turntables -- when the vinyl hits the road!

I suppose you know what "Hypoid" means..

ps. Citroen inverted what type of gear?

The type with sand in it.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...
Several of these were built, particularly the washing-machine-size
Fairchild transcription tables. They were very heavy and gave marginal
performance even when new.

Since belt drive tables are perfectly satisfactory for audiophiles and
direct drive ones perfectly satisfactory for DJs, why reinvent the
wheel?

Why not give audiophiles the same advantages as DJ's? Don't they deserve to
have a table that has the best possible speed accuracy?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GregS

In article t, wrote:

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
roups.com...
Several of these were built, particularly the washing-machine-size
Fairchild transcription tables. They were very heavy and gave marginal
performance even when new.

Since belt drive tables are perfectly satisfactory for audiophiles and
direct drive ones perfectly satisfactory for DJs, why reinvent the
wheel?

Why not give audiophiles the same advantages as DJ's? Don't they deserve to
have a table that has the best possible speed accuracy?

Would be interesting to listen to the turntable sound if the DJ manipulated
the platter.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

Default Citroen hype

wrote:

Gear drive turntables provide the lowest possible maintenance. New
developments in synthetic hypoid oil, combined with a concentric rubber
shaft coupling, will finally permit the creation of equipment with a
hundred
year lifetime.

Hypoid turntables -- when the vinyl hits the road!

I suppose you know what "Hypoid" means..

ps. Citroen inverted what type of gear?

The hypoid gear was invented by Nikola John Trbojevich
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/.../Memorial1.htm
You don't believe all that Citroen hype, do you?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:22:18 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Gear drive turntables provide the lowest possible maintenance. New
developments in synthetic hypoid oil, combined with a concentric rubber
shaft coupling, will finally permit the creation of equipment with a
hundred
year lifetime.

Hypoid turntables -- when the vinyl hits the road!

I suppose you know what "Hypoid" means..

ps. Citroen inverted what type of gear?

The hypoid gear was invented by Nikola John Trbojevich
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/.../Memorial1.htm
You don't believe all that Citroen hype, do you?

Perhaps, but apparently Citroen "inverted" it.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Goofball_star_dot_etal

wrote:

Gear drive turntables provide the lowest possible maintenance. New
developments in synthetic hypoid oil, combined with a concentric rubber
shaft coupling, will finally permit the creation of equipment with a
hundred
year lifetime.

Hypoid turntables -- when the vinyl hits the road!

I suppose you know what "Hypoid" means..

ps. Citroen inverted what type of gear?

The hypoid gear was invented by Nikola John Trbojevich
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/.../Memorial1.htm
You don't believe all that Citroen hype, do you?

Did I say they invented the hypoid gear? I asked you if you knew what
it was you had said. (pre-Google). So tell us why you want a motor
sticking out of the side of a turntable, off axis..
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Goofball_star_dot_etal

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Gear drive turntables provide the lowest possible maintenance. New
developments in synthetic hypoid oil, combined with a concentric rubber
shaft coupling, will finally permit the creation of equipment with a
hundred
year lifetime.

Hypoid turntables -- when the vinyl hits the road!

I suppose you know what "Hypoid" means..

ps. Citroen inverted what type of gear?

The hypoid gear was invented by Nikola John Trbojevich
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/.../Memorial1.htm
You don't believe all that Citroen hype, do you?

Perhaps, but apparently Citroen "inverted" it.

I must wean lasses.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Powell

wrote

Since belt drive tables are perfectly satisfactory for audiophiles and
direct drive ones perfectly satisfactory for DJs, why reinvent the wheel?

Why not give audiophiles the same advantages as DJ's? Don't they deserve
to have a table that has the best possible speed accuracy?

What is the basis of your notion that mainstream
turntables produce *audible distortions* due to
speed inaccuracy?

Speed Accuracy (±%) Examples:
Basis 0.1-0.05
Clearaudio 0.1-001
L.A. Michell 0.5-0.25
KAB 0.03-0.005
Nottingham 0.05
SOTA 0.1- 0.04

What is the threshold of acceptable distortion,
in your opinion?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

news

wrote:

Gear drive turntables provide the lowest possible maintenance. New
developments in synthetic hypoid oil, combined with a concentric rubber
shaft coupling, will finally permit the creation of equipment with a
hundred
year lifetime.

Hypoid turntables -- when the vinyl hits the road!

I suppose you know what "Hypoid" means..

ps. Citroen inverted what type of gear?

The hypoid gear was invented by Nikola John Trbojevich
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/.../Memorial1.htm
You don't believe all that Citroen hype, do you?

Did I say they invented the hypoid gear? I asked you if you knew what
it was you had said. (pre-Google). So tell us why you want a motor
sticking out of the side of a turntable, off axis..

One advantage of the gear drive turntable is the ability to locate the motor
far from the pickup. A 30' teleflex cable is optimal for the purpose.
Otherwise, remoting the motor a sufficient distance requires drilling a hole
in the floor. This can result in difficult relations for apartment tenants.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Goofball_star_dot_etal

wrote:

[...]

I think you might be on the wrong track, even for a troll..

Here is the Citroen gear:

http://www.citroen.com.au/cms/defaul...ticle&ID=14753

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Thank you. However, the origin of the intellectual property is irrelevant.
Today, the turntable owner has only two choices: cut a hole in the floor,
allowing location of the motor in the basement, or use of a nonparallel gear
transmission arrangement.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

wrote:

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote in message
news On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:22:18 -0500, "Robert Morein"

wrote:

[...]

Ok Bob, We accept that you're a PhD reject. You don't have to keep
proving it.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Scott, don't waste your break time on me. In a few minutes, you have to go
back to whatever boring thing you have to do for the rest of your life.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

Ok Bob, We accept that you're a PhD reject. You don't have to keep
proving it.

ScottW

Scott, don't waste your break time on me. In a few minutes, you have to go
back to whatever boring thing you have to do for the rest of your life.

You mean like clearing your house attic for demolition in Dec?
You're so lucky Bob, all the rejections in your life, no job, and a
crumbling old house.

Oh well, thank God for the perspective altering abilities of a couple
latte's, eh Bob?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

Ok Bob, We accept that you're a PhD reject. You don't have to keep
proving it.

ScottW

Scott, don't waste your break time on me. In a few minutes, you have to
go
back to whatever boring thing you have to do for the rest of your life.

You mean like clearing your house attic for demolition in Dec?
You're so lucky Bob, all the rejections in your life, no job, and a
crumbling old house.

Oh well, thank God for the perspective altering abilities of a couple
latte's, eh Bob?

ScottW

Just curious, Scott? What makes you so unhappy?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

Ok Bob, We accept that you're a PhD reject. You don't have to keep
proving it.

ScottW

Scott, don't waste your break time on me. In a few minutes, you have to
go
back to whatever boring thing you have to do for the rest of your life.

You mean like clearing your house attic for demolition in Dec?
You're so lucky Bob, all the rejections in your life, no job, and a
crumbling old house.

Oh well, thank God for the perspective altering abilities of a couple
latte's, eh Bob?

ScottW

Just curious, Scott? What makes you so unhappy?

Silly Bob, isn't it obvious? In usenetville... its all you. Your
pompous arrogance coupled with incredible ignorance and lack of a real
life expemplified by your repeat confusions of usenet with the real
world make you a generally displeasurable character.
Not to mention that you have the humor intellect of a 4 year old.

Any other questions?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Scottie said:

Not to mention that you have the humor intellect of a 4 year old.

What do you mean by "humor intellect"?

BTW, Bobo isn't the only one who thinks you're grouchy.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

Scottie said:

Not to mention that you have the humor intellect of a 4 year old.

What do you mean by "humor intellect"?

BTW, Bobo isn't the only one who thinks you're grouchy.

It's a "special IQ" measure.
Scott ranks with all the great humorists of rao: Arny, Mikey, "Powell".
Personally, I would prefer a "poke-a-joke" card deck.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret Ludwig

Robert Morein wrote:

One advantage of the gear drive turntable is the ability to locate the motor
far from the pickup. A 30' teleflex cable is optimal for the purpose.
Otherwise, remoting the motor a sufficient distance requires drilling a hole
in the floor. This can result in difficult relations for apartment tenants.

It's completely unnecessary. A good AC motor built with a nonmagnetic
armature shaft will be undetectable with any known cartridge from even
one foot.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

[...]

It is very obvious that Scottie is stuck in middle management with no hope
out. Besides, his kneepads have worn out so servicing his superiors is very
painful these days. And of course, there is that "boyfriend" remark that hit
wayyyy too close to home. Scottie probably hasn't slept since then.

Sco Rob 1, Scottie 0.

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Powell

Default Attention George... Bobo's quacking meter is stopped-up

"Robert Morein" wrote

It's a "special IQ" measure.
Scott ranks with all the great humorists
of rao: Arny, Mikey, "Powell".

George, after all these years I’ve finally
been placed on the same side of the fence
as Arny. So where did I go wrong with
"Bobo?"

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Default Powelll, meet Sluttie

Powell said:

It's a "special IQ" measure.
Scott ranks with all the great humorists
of rao: Arny, Mikey, "Powell".

George, after all these years I’ve finally
been placed on the same side of the fence
as Arny. So where did I go wrong with
"Bobo?"

You, too, have established a new precedent -- an entire post that is easily
comprehensible to an ordinary person. Well done!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Powell

"George M. Middius" wrote

It's a "special IQ" measure.
Scott ranks with all the great humorists
of rao: Arny, Mikey, "Powell".

George, after all these years I've finally
been placed on the same side of the fence
as Arny. So where did I go wrong with
"Bobo?"

You, too, have established a new precedent --
an entire post that is easily comprehensible to
an ordinary person. Well done!

Thank you.

It's unfortunate that Bruce isn't here to council
him (Bobo) on treatment options for paranoia.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Margaret von B. wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

[...]

Marge, If I ever score any points with you... be a dike and let me
know so I can take immediate corrective action.

thanks,

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

George M. Middius wrote:
Scottie said:

Not to mention that you have the humor intellect of a 4 year old.

What do you mean by "humor intellect"?

duh

BTW, Bobo isn't the only one who thinks you're grouchy.

I'm such a party pooper..... to bad you twits haven't been to a party
in 3 decades.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

ScottW wrote:

Marge, If I ever score any points with you... be a dike and let me
know so I can take immediate corrective action.

thanks,

ScottW

Isn't dyke spelt with a 'y'?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

I knew it! All those times I called you duh-Mikey's spiritual successor.

Not to mention that you have the humor intellect of a 4 year old.

What do you mean by "humor intellect"?

duh

Please don't tell us you've started eating bugs, too.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Schizoid Man said:

be a dike

Isn't dyke spelt with a 'y'?

That doesn't matter if you're functionally illiterate.

How's *your* "humor intellect"?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Schizoid Man wrote:
ScottW wrote:

Marge, If I ever score any points with you... be a dike and let me
know so I can take immediate corrective action.

thanks,

ScottW

Isn't dyke spelt with a 'y'?

why wouldn't you assume I mean for her to hold her water?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

Schizoid Man wrote:
ScottW wrote:

Marge, If I ever score any points with you... be a dike and let me
know so I can take immediate corrective action.

thanks,

ScottW

Isn't dyke spelt with a 'y'?

why wouldn't you assume I mean for her to hold her water?

ScottW

I'm an old-fashioned girl, Scottie. No golden showers offered at my place.
Well, maybe if you had some fresh Meta Primos for my living room...

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Margaret von B. wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

Schizoid Man wrote:
ScottW wrote:

Marge, If I ever score any points with you... be a dike and let me
know so I can take immediate corrective action.

thanks,

ScottW

Isn't dyke spelt with a 'y'?

why wouldn't you assume I mean for her to hold her water?

ScottW

I'm an old-fashioned girl, Scottie. No golden showers offered at my place.

Liar, An old-fashioned girl wouldn't know wtf you're talking about.

Well, maybe if you had some fresh Meta Primos for my living room...

What's the matter Marge.... you couldn't blow yourself up a pair?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Margaret von B. wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

Schizoid Man wrote:
ScottW wrote:

Marge, If I ever score any points with you... be a dike and let me
know so I can take immediate corrective action.

thanks,

ScottW

Isn't dyke spelt with a 'y'?

why wouldn't you assume I mean for her to hold her water?

ScottW

I'm an old-fashioned girl, Scottie. No golden showers offered at my
place.

Liar, An old-fashioned girl wouldn't know wtf you're talking about.

I didn't know such things existed until I started reading RAO...just like
Arnii.... :-)

Well, maybe if you had some fresh Meta Primos for my living room...

What's the matter Marge.... you couldn't blow yourself up a pair?

ScottW

I'd rather have *you* blow me a pair, Scottie!

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Margaret von B. wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Margaret von B. wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

Schizoid Man wrote:
ScottW wrote:

Marge, If I ever score any points with you... be a dike and let me
know so I can take immediate corrective action.

thanks,

ScottW

Isn't dyke spelt with a 'y'?

why wouldn't you assume I mean for her to hold her water?

ScottW

I'm an old-fashioned girl, Scottie. No golden showers offered at my
place.

Liar, An old-fashioned girl wouldn't know wtf you're talking about.

I didn't know such things existed until I started reading RAO...just like
Arnii.... :-)

Deeper and deeper

Well, maybe if you had some fresh Meta Primos for my living room...

What's the matter Marge.... you couldn't blow yourself up a pair?

ScottW

I'd rather have *you* blow me a pair, Scottie!

Poor Marge... here feminine wiles have left her.... if she ever had
them at all.

ScottW