Alan Hoyle

Default Spike "recepticles" for HW floors?

Hey all,

My speakers came with spiked feet (not my choice for "tweak" reasons,
it's just what the Infinity Overture 1 stands came with), and I'm
moving into a new place with hardwood floors. I don't want to scratch
the floors and I've seen "spike recepticles" but I haven't been
able to find a price for them. e.g. http://solen.ca/pics/101030a.jpg

Does anyone know how much I could expect to pay for them? If they're
too expensive (like more than $1 each), I'll probably just stack a few
coins up below the spikes.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Mr. Finsky

My local high-end store sells small plastic receptacles for $4 per
unit. They are made of extremely hard plastic designed to dissipate the
force. Coins made end up making small circles in your floor. Good luck!
Steven E. Harris

Alan Hoyle writes:

I'll probably just stack a few coins up below the spikes.

We wound up going with some clear plastic round "glides". They're
about an inch and half in diameter, and each glide can be rotated such
that it's nearly hidden beneath the speaker stand. Rather than
centering the spike in the flat cup area, I've pushed it all the way
against the edge.

Here's a picture¹ of something similar. The pictured item is larger in
diameter and the ridge is higher and wider than mine at home. I think
we picked them up at Home Depot and must have paid no more than ten
dollars for eight of them.

Footnotes:
¹ http://www.vandykes.com/product/02003742/

--
Steven E. Harris

Wylie Williams

Are they removable, some screw into the base. Any old thing to go between
the them and the floor should do, go to the hardware store and get ssome
ideas using the fastener sections as sources. Poker chips?

Hey all,

My speakers came with spiked feet (not my choice for "tweak" reasons,
it's just what the Infinity Overture 1 stands came with), and I'm
moving into a new place with hardwood floors. I don't want to scratch
the floors and I've seen "spike recepticles" but I haven't been
able to find a price for them. e.g.
http://solen.ca/pics/101030a.jpg

Does anyone know how much I could expect to pay for them? ), I'll probably just stack a few
coins up below the spikes.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

You wrote "If they're too expensive (like more than $1 each)"

There are purpose made metal ones, but they will be more than $1 each.
Try a hardware store for the cushions that go under the legs of a couch
or chair. They will fall in the price range you mention.

I believe www.madisound.com sells spikes and receptacles. But another
idea is just to remove the spikes and use self adhesive felt pads --
those are on the bottom of practically everything in my house.
Alan Hoyle

On 12 Jan 2005 01:11:42 GMT, Steven E. Harris wrote:
Alan Hoyle writes:

I'll probably just stack a few coins up below the spikes.

We wound up going with some clear plastic round "glides". They're
about an inch and half in diameter, and each glide can be rotated such
that it's nearly hidden beneath the speaker stand. Rather than
centering the spike in the flat cup area, I've pushed it all the way
against the edge.

Here's a picture?? of something similar. The pictured item is larger in
diameter and the ridge is higher and wider than mine at home. I think
we picked them up at Home Depot and must have paid no more than ten
dollars for eight of them.

Footnotes:
?? http://www.vandykes.com/product/02003742/

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to a local hardware store and paid
$4 total for 8 plastic floor protectors. I'd been a little afraid
they wouldn't be able to support the speakers without cracking, but
they seem tough enough now that I've actually tried it out. One of my
local high end stores wasn't interested enough in me to call me back,
and the other would have charged me $10 each for "custom" metal ones.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Alan Hoyle

On 13 Jan 2005 01:06:32 GMT, Wylie Williams wrote:

You wrote "If they're too expensive (like more than $1 each)"

There are purpose made metal ones, but they will be more than $1 each.
Try a hardware store for the cushions that go under the legs of a couch
or chair. They will fall in the price range you mention.

By the way, Solen.ca finally got back to me and they would have
charged a somewhat reasonable $1.65 (USD) + $5 shipping.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Alan Hoyle

On 16 Jan 2005 16:28:43 GMT, wrote:
I believe
www.madisound.com sells spikes and receptacles. But another
idea is just to remove the spikes and use self adhesive felt pads --
those are on the bottom of practically everything in my house.

Unfortunately, I can't do this with my stands as they're not
conventional platform stands. I have the Infinity-brand Overture 1
stands, and if the spikes are removed, they aren't stable.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

Aha, then you need Threaded Leveling Feet. Go to www.mcmaster.com and
do a search on "feet." They have several pages, including ones that
swivel. You just need to match the screw thread diameter and pitch,
which you can find out by taking one of your spikes to the hardware
store.

Your other option is to put the spikes on small blocks of plywood, and
press down real hard. This will effectively self-adjust your speaker
stands to the floor.

Steven E. Harris wrote:
writes:

But another idea is just to remove the spikes and use self adhesive
felt pads

I had considered that, as the spikes seem useless sitting on a rigid
surface, but one then loses the ability to level the stands by
adjusting the individual threaded spikes. My floors, despite having
been newly laid, required leveling to keep the stands from rocking.

--
Steven E. Harris