Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Doug

Default Equipment for a home studio/PA and hifi center

The purpose of my equipment is three fold.
1. Home hi fi (I want it to sound louder and better than my desktop
Sony). Noise free to my ears and good speakers.
2. As a "home PA". I sing and play my acoustic/electric through it.
3. As a "studio monitor" when I add a recording outfit to it.

This is my first venture into PA gear and I want to use it to play my
CD collection as well. I have not purchased equipment yet but this is
what I am thinking. I put the Musicians Friend number so you can look
at specs, but I don't care where I buy the stuff, though I like their
45 day return policy.

1. Alesis RS300 Reference Series power amp. Musicians friend #485525
(90 watts into 8 ohms per channel, no fan)
2. Behringer Eurorack UB1222FX-PRO mixer (also serves a preamp for CD
player) MF #631229
3. Sony RCD-W500C CD recorder/player MF #244679
4. Speakers. I need two 8 ohm, non-powered, near field 100 watt
speakers that will sound as good as possible with this equipment. I am
thinking something like Behringer Truths, but non-powered. I am
stumped on this one. Any suggestions? An important choice. Something
with a silk dome tweeter? I think NOT a horn? Something designed for a
studio monitor, near field or maybe medium field. Room is 20 x 30, 8'
ceiling to 16' ceiling sheetrock walls carpet floor.

My other quandry is I do not know how a sub-woofer would fit into
this. If I get a sub do I just plug it into an output of the mixer?

I currently have a mic and mic stand and that's about it. Right now I
play my acoustic electric through an acoustic amp, I have a small Sony
desktop hi fi ($400 model) and a Zoom home 4 channel solid state
recorder.

I will be adding a home recording system some day, and I may want to
use some of this stuff down at the gig someday (that is if I ever do
get any gigs). And maybe adding mike pre-amps, voice effect boxes,
more microphones etc.

Anyway, that is my mission. I would appreciate any suggestions. Yes I
can spend more, but this is the sort of range I think I can buy and
learn with and should get ok sound.
acoustic/electric guitar-------|Mixer|--------|Amp|l--------Speaker
microphone---------------------| | | |r--------Speaker
-------