Logan263

Default OT? Win98SE, help with audio recording from sound card?

Every single time I'm trying to work with recording what is currently
playing (either an MP3, MIDI, WAV), something happens and after all
the research and all the websites I've looked at, can't seem to get a
handle to fix the problem once and for all.

I'm hoping the group can steer me in the right direction as I'm not
doing well on my own.

I have Win98SE, 128 SDRAM, 650 MHz.

When I want to record off the sound card, half the time the sound
doesn't register. I go into the properties of the volume icon in
systray and that sometimes has helped when looking at the recording
properties but this time, adjusting everything in the limited way I
know didn't fix it. I also re-installed the audio driver. Nothing.
Flatlines on sound recorder and GoldWave. I know that when these two
apps register sound, by a moving wav line, that when I record, sound
will actually be recorded. But with flatlines, nothing is recorded.

Can someone pls help ... This is sooo aggravating and I'm no nearer to
resolving these audio recording issues 3 years later and after a lot
of aggravation and research.

Other than OS info above, etc., don't know what info to provide, so
pls ask me questions if you need to know more re the system in order
to fix.

Thanks much! D

Logan263

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:09:10 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

Most apps won't record the WAV output of the sound card. Total Recorder is
one that does, but is about a $12.00-13.00US download.

What about the situation where a system can and does but not
consistently? I'll try Total Recorder, but I wonder how better it
will be at "hearing" the sound if both GoldWave and Sound Recorder
currently do not.

Sometimes all the settings are just right on my system (whatever they
might be) and I can record. Case in point, best incidence of this was
when I borrowed the DVD "Ben Hur" last year from the library and
recorded one of the tracks on it that doesn't come on the CD (the
intro one!). Wonderful recording. That was one of those times when
the settings were right on and was able to do this. sigh

Mark Z.

"Logan263" wrote in message
news
[...]

Logan263

wrote:

Most apps won't record the WAV output of the sound card. Total Recorder is
one that does, but is about a $12.00-13.00US download.

Mark Z.

I tried it out and, yes, thank you, it worked! Appreciate the info.
I'm guessing that what I was doing before needs tweaking while
TotalRecorder just automatically sets everything up as is needed (?).

"Logan263" wrote in message
news
[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

I think maybe when it worked you were recording the analog output from the
cd-rom drive.
Glad Total Recorder worked for you.

mz

wrote:

Most apps won't record the WAV output of the sound card. Total Recorder

is
one that does, but is about a $12.00-13.00US download.

Mark Z.

I tried it out and, yes, thank you, it worked! Appreciate the info.
I'm guessing that what I was doing before needs tweaking while
TotalRecorder just automatically sets everything up as is needed (?).

"Logan263" wrote in message
news
[...]

Logan263

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:40:17 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

I think maybe when it worked you were recording the analog output from the
cd-rom drive.

Even when I was playing a presentation EXE on my desktop and not on
CD-ROM drive?

Glad Total Recorder worked for you.

Yes, thanks.

Actually, ultimately stumbled upon the fact that the EXE was just a
special zip made into an executable but in a format I didn't
recognize. The EXE played like any normal EXE, but Winrar was able to
open it so I got the original audio (which happened to be the theme to
"The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne" a favourite series of mine that
only ran for one year in 1999 (http://www.sajv.org/jules.html,
http://www.sajv.org/phigg.html, http://www.sajv.org/rebogg.html)).

But I do need to be able to record audio in this way when there are no
source audio files anywhere. I was lucky this time.

Actually, the mp3 file I made from the Total Recorder recording was
pretty darn good so confident in future if this ever happens again but
I'm not lucky to extract the file itself.

mz

.. .
wrote:

Most apps won't record the WAV output of the sound card. Total Recorder

is
one that does, but is about a $12.00-13.00US download.

Mark Z.

I tried it out and, yes, thank you, it worked! Appreciate the info.
I'm guessing that what I was doing before needs tweaking while
TotalRecorder just automatically sets everything up as is needed (?).

news Every single time I'm trying to work with recording what is currently

Audio Formats Help Mark General 0 September 22nd 03 06:13 AM
sound card recommendation Arny Krueger General 62 September 4th 03 05:52 PM
How to save streaming real audio sound files Drebbel General 2 August 31st 03 04:00 AM
Recording a Live band Mike Walker General 6 July 19th 03 01:07 AM
fix audio files [email protected] General 1 July 15th 03 05:44 PM