Max Holubitsky

Default Semi OT - vintage amplifier for vintage system?

Here's another question for those who have had more experience with
vintage stuff than myself. I'm not in the market for anything at the
moment, but I'd like some ideas for something to keep my eyes peeled
for. I'm moving into an early 60s house, and the basement is a classic
rec room setup... it's got veneer paneled walls, acoustical tile
ceiling, and luckily good head room. I want to set up a stereo which
would be correct to the period of the room, basically because I like the
period, and I already have an almost complete setup. The "main stereo"
will be going in the living room.

My "60's vintage" system so far consists of

Thorens TD 124/II
SME 3012
Grado black, or realistic/shure cartridge (this will have to be changed)

McIntosh C-24
EICO Cortina FM tuner
Ampex 800
Goodmans 212 triaxial in large cabinets

Now, something looks to be missing from the system! Any suggestions for
a cool amplifier which would fit the period, and quality of the
associated equipment?? Off the top of my head I can think Dynaco ST-70,
or maybe an EICO stereo tube amp. A McIntosh MC-250 is another option.
Were there any decent transistor amps in the mid to late 60s? I'm
looking for something American made, high quality, with the clunky but
high quality feel that American equipment from the era seems to exude.
If I do go transistor, it has to be something that will have decent
sound, from a subjective perspective.

Jon Yaeger

For a 60's style tube amp the Sherwood 5000 has a unique design; the Dyna
and Eico are ubiquitous. Don't forget Heathkit . . . .

I'm not very fond of 60's transistor amplifiers. However, Marantz had a
very 70's look and that big & clunky American feel . . .

- Jon

Kevin Killebrew

Just my opinion:

If you are getting an integrated amp, I would go for a Sherwood S5000 Series
or the 5500 series. These are cool looking and great sounding - the build
quality is as good as Fisher or HK and they can usually be gotten for a good
price. The S5000 II with 7868 outputs is a serious ass kicking integrated
tube amp - superior output stage to an ST70.

Personally I would kick out the McIntosh SS preamp and use all tube, but if
you are just looking for a power amp to complete the setup then stay with a
McIntosh, or HK Citation II. Heathkit made an excellent EL34 80 watt stereo
power amp model AA-121 which would be my recommendation for a powerful, less
expensive tube power amp.

All of the aforementioned will out perform the ST-70, and the ST-70 comes at
a premium price these days. Don't even consider a 60's SS amp... I've never
heard a good one.

KK

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message
[...]

Max Holubitsky

Personally I would kick out the McIntosh SS preamp and use all tube, but if
you are just looking for a power amp to complete the setup then stay with a
McIntosh, or HK Citation II. Heathkit made an excellent EL34 80 watt stereo
power amp model AA-121 which would be my recommendation for a powerful, less
expensive tube power amp.

Isn't there something that's supposed to be special about the HK Citation-II ?
Designed like a video amplifier or something ? That Heath sounds interesting
too. Mcintosh tube amps are really cool, but I would have to get an awfully good
deal before it would be worthwhile.

I'm keeping the C-24, as it sounds excellent to me, and the lack of noise (and
lack of tubes to go noisy) is a big bonus.

Max Holubitsky

I think the other poster has put a bug in my ear about the Harmon Kardon
Citation II... now I know what I want - that would suit the C-24, and
everything else *perfectly*, and make no comprimise in performance while doing
it. Now.. to find a ratty example...

Max