Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rob Aries Rob Aries is offline

Default Are you Comcast customers? Say bye bye...

....to Usenet!

http://tinyurl.com/5mmdqp

(Comcast post on dslreports.com)

I know I can access this group through Google Groups-- and maybe there
are some other options, which I'm sure I'll finds out about. Seems like
the end of an era for me though -- I've been online since 1986 and
always accessed newsgroups directly from news servers on my ISP. It
seems like many ISPs are abandoning newsgroups (RCN just did the same
thing).
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Rob Aries wrote:

...to Usenet!

http://tinyurl.com/5mmdqp

(Comcast post on dslreports.com)

I know I can access this group through Google Groups-- and maybe there
are some other options, which I'm sure I'll finds out about. Seems like
the end of an era for me though -- I've been online since 1986 and
always accessed newsgroups directly from news servers on my ISP. It
seems like many ISPs are abandoning newsgroups (RCN just did the same
thing).

This service is wonderful, and costs little. I'm in my second year of
use and really appreciating it. We dropped Earthlink when Frontier
offered DSL here, and this service has more than filled the gap:

http://news.individual.net/

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Rob Aries" wrote...
...to Usenet!

http://tinyurl.com/5mmdqp

(Comcast post on dslreports.com)

I know I can access this group through Google Groups-- and maybe there
are some other options, which I'm sure I'll finds out about. Seems like
the end of an era for me though -- I've been online since 1986 and
always accessed newsgroups directly from news servers on my ISP. It
seems like many ISPs are abandoning newsgroups (RCN just did the same
thing).

ISPs (and *especially* big, corporate ISPs) have been handling
NNTP so poorly, that it is pretty much good riddance. There are
so many (much better) options available, that loss of NNTP on an
ISP doesn't make my top-100 list of things to even think about.

10 Euro per year for excellent service from http://news.individual.net
It's pretty much a no-brainer. Or several other independent Usenet
providers out there. Several of them free, even.

Google Groups is OK for archives, but opening up a web-based
portal to all the wackos, slimeballs and spammers in the solar system
was a very bad thing for Usenet overall.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:12:34 -0400, Richard Crowley wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I have had no problems with Comcast and newsgroups. I'll be wrankled if they
drop it.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rob Aries Rob Aries is offline

I agree, Comcast has been fine for me too. And prepare to be wrankled,
I don't think it's a question of "if."