Peter Larsen

Fella wrote:

My system is as follows:
Densen beat b100 mk5 amp
Cambridge audio azur 640c cd player
Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano speaks
QED xtube 300 speaker wire + banana plugs

Anyways, recently a freind of mine was selling a pair of audioquest
power cords (their best) with "rf stoppers".. Being a sceptic of "power
cords" making a difference, etc, I still wanted to try it out so he gave
htem to me for an audition... So I tried them out, thinking what could
it possibley hurt?

I don't if the following effects I've experienced are "placebo" or not:
increase and more control in the bass, sweeter more extended treble,
more discernable and detailed micro dynamics. It was as if it was a REAL
upgrade of some sorts, a new cd player, a better amp ??

Allow me to subtract a bit for new item enthusiasm, rf filtering of the
mains power is generally of some benefit in terms of a "cleaner sound
image", i.e. provide the 4 am "less appliances running" clarity all day.

I am not sure what filtering strategy to recommend, whether one big is
better than many small ones. If you do use money on it, then be sure to
get something that includes overvoltage protection.

One last question: taking backup from my old CD's (notibly
charlie haden "ballad of the fallen") I've encountered a very
annoying problem that make these backups practically useless:
On continuous pieces with track numbers changing in the middle
my CD player plays the tracks normally, there is no cut off
between tracks, the music does not cut, with the original.
But with the CD-r versions the player cuts the music to give a
two second in-between tracks silence

Read the manual for the software used or use better software or simply
copy the CD rather than copy the tracks.

which needles to say divides the music and spoils the whole
experience, the whole concept of the CD. Not only the azur,
but also a very expensice naim cd5 is doing the same
thing with the cd-r?

This is not a CD player problem.

Any ideas as to how I can overcome this problem?
Some software (better then HP record now)

Check the options of the software you use. HP's stuff is generally
capable stuff, but yes, their software is dumbified and hides the setup
options. That said: copying the entire CD instead of the tracks should
do it.

Any help much apreeciated, much obliged, happy listening.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Fella

Default A Couple of questions on audioquest power cords and CD-Rs

Hi,

My system is as follows:
Densen beat b100 mk5 amp
Cambridge audio azur 640c cd player
Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano speaks
QED xtube 300 speaker wire + banana plugs

Anyways, recently a freind of mine was selling a pair of audioquest
power cords (their best) with "rf stoppers".. Being a sceptic of "power
cords" making a difference, etc, I still wanted to try it out so he gave
htem to me for an audition... So I tried them out, thinking what could
it possibley hurt?

I don't if the following effects I've experienced are "placebo" or not:
increase and more control in the bass, sweeter more extended treble,
more discernable and detailed micro dynamics. It was as if it was a REAL
upgrade of some sorts, a new cd player, a better amp ??

It was a pretty good system in the first place, but now the thing sounds
like a $30000 setup!

I am just thinking that "it's just freakin power, how could this be?"

But here comes the most curious part.. The azur cd player made "tak tak
tak" mechanical noise on some cd's, very AUDIBLE for instance with the
philip glass "koyaanisqatsi" cd, so much that it distracted from the
music on quiter passages. But with the audioquest used as power cord on
the azur even this mechanical noise disappeared!! ... Now asking you
guys (and why not gals?), any educated opinions as to how this is possible??

One last question: taking backup from my old CD's (notibly charlie haden
"ballad of the fallen") I've encountered a very annoying problem that
make these backups practically useless: On continuous pieces with track
numbers changing in the middle my CD player plays the tracks normally,
there is no cut off between tracks, the music does not cut, with the
original. But with the CD-r versions the player cuts the music to give a
two second in-between tracks silence which needles to say divides the
music and spoils the whole experience, the whole concept of the CD. Not
only the azur, but also a very expensice naim cd5 is doing the same
thing with the cd-r? Any ideas as to how I can overcome this problem?
SOme software (better then HP record now) or some special tye of cdr
made for audio specifically??

Any help much apreeciated, much obliged, happy listening.
Fella

Peter Larsen wrote:

Fella wrote:

Allow me to subtract a bit for new item enthusiasm, rf filtering of the
mains power is generally of some benefit in terms of a "cleaner sound
image", i.e. provide the 4 am "less appliances running" clarity all day.

I am not sure what filtering strategy to recommend, whether one big is
better than many small ones. If you do use money on it, then be sure to
get something that includes overvoltage protection.

Thanks for the asnwers Peter. I am discerning from your response on this
that it is not actualy the power cord per se that made those
improvements but the "rf stopper" ? So I can get rf stoppers and apply
them on the existing stock power cords, or perhaps some power
conditioner and get the same results? My freind asks a lot for the
audioquests, seems silly to give all that much money to power cords,
$250 ...

Read the manual for the software used or use better software or simply
copy the CD rather than copy the tracks.

Did all that, there was no mention of this problem.. And I use "make an
exact copy" option, I do not select and copy piece by piece.

Thanks again.

Paradise News

"Fella" wrote in message
Hi,

My system is as follows:
Densen beat b100 mk5 amp
Cambridge audio azur 640c cd player
Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano speaks
QED xtube 300 speaker wire + banana plugs

Anyways, recently a freind of mine was selling a pair of audioquest
power cords (their best) with "rf stoppers".. Being a sceptic of "power
cords" making a difference, etc, I still wanted to try it out so he gave
htem to me for an audition... So I tried them out, thinking what could
it possibley hurt?

I don't if the following effects I've experienced are "placebo" or not:

The effects are almost certainly completey psychological, unless your
previous power cord was severely thin. In which case any regular power ord
would make the same improvements.

geoff

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Fella" wrote in message ...

My freind asks a lot for the audioquests, seems silly to give all that much
money to power cords, $250 ...

You are correct... very silly.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Laurence Payne

One last question: taking backup from my old CD's (notibly charlie haden
"ballad of the fallen") I've encountered a very annoying problem that
make these backups practically useless: On continuous pieces with track
numbers changing in the middle my CD player plays the tracks normally,
there is no cut off between tracks, the music does not cut, with the
original. But with the CD-r versions the player cuts the music to give a
two second in-between tracks silence which needles to say divides the
music and spoils the whole experience, the whole concept of the CD. Not
only the azur, but also a very expensice naim cd5 is doing the same
thing with the cd-r? Any ideas as to how I can overcome this problem?
SOme software (better then HP record now) or some special tye of cdr
made for audio specifically??

This isn't a problem with your player, or the media you burn to.

The "standard" is to put a 2sec pause between tracks on a CD. If you
present a CD-burning program with a list of wav files, it will burn
in this way. There should be an option to modify the between-tracks
gap - in this case you want it to be zero. If your burning program
doesn't have this option, use a better program :-)

If you want to be clever, many programs will export and import a cue
file. This is a simple text file telling the burner what wav files
to burn at what times. You can manually change the gap here - and,
indeed, specify many advanced CD-burning features thought to only be
available in expensive programs. But, first off, see if your
program allows control of the gap length.

If you want to copy a WHOLE CD, this won't be an issue. Don't
extract individual tracks and re-assemble a cue-list, just use the
Copy CD function in the software that came with your CD burner.

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:25:33 +0300, Fella wrote:

Anyways, recently a freind of mine was selling a pair of audioquest
power cords (their best) with "rf stoppers".. Being a sceptic of "power
cords" making a difference, etc, I still wanted to try it out so he gave
htem to me for an audition... So I tried them out, thinking what could
it possibley hurt?

Your wallet, if you decide that:

(a) The cord made a difference

(b) You have to spend that much money to make that difference.

The traditional way to block rf from a power input is with a few
inexpensive ferrite rings. Remembering that the prime objective of
audiophile-level sound equipment is not to be good but to be
expensive, maybe, just maybe, your amplifier has been designed with
inadequate rf filtering. Try the ferrite rings.

Scott Dorsey

Fella wrote:

Anyways, recently a freind of mine was selling a pair of audioquest
power cords (their best) with "rf stoppers".. Being a sceptic of "power
cords" making a difference, etc, I still wanted to try it out so he gave
htem to me for an audition... So I tried them out, thinking what could
it possibley hurt?

I agree. Basically, if it's only in the last six feet of thousands of
feet of cable, how can it have a substantial effect? If it can, it has
to be a degradation, because any improvement would be swamped by the
huge amount of cheap Romex driving it.

I don't if the following effects I've experienced are "placebo" or not:
increase and more control in the bass, sweeter more extended treble,
more discernable and detailed micro dynamics. It was as if it was a REAL
upgrade of some sorts, a new cd player, a better amp ??

It could be a placebo. It could also be a power system degradation that
you are hearing as a sonic improvement.

tak" mechanical noise on some cd's, very AUDIBLE for instance with the
philip glass "koyaanisqatsi" cd, so much that it distracted from the
music on quiter passages. But with the audioquest used as power cord on
the azur even this mechanical noise disappeared!! ... Now asking you
guys (and why not gals?), any educated opinions as to how this is possible??

What if you go back to the original cable? Does the mistracking go away?
The mistracking is almost certainly unrelated to anything on the power
line.

My personal feeling is that the whole power cable thing is total bunkum, and
I was never able to hear a difference. But if you have the money, and you
even think you can hear a difference, it certainly doesn't hurt anything.
At worst case you spent money on a placebo, and nobody was ever hurt by a
placebo.

One last question: taking backup from my old CD's (notibly charlie haden
"ballad of the fallen") I've encountered a very annoying problem that
make these backups practically useless: On continuous pieces with track
numbers changing in the middle my CD player plays the tracks normally,
there is no cut off between tracks, the music does not cut, with the
original. But with the CD-r versions the player cuts the music to give a
two second in-between tracks silence which needles to say divides the
music and spoils the whole experience, the whole concept of the CD. Not
only the azur, but also a very expensice naim cd5 is doing the same
thing with the cd-r? Any ideas as to how I can overcome this problem?
SOme software (better then HP record now) or some special tye of cdr
made for audio specifically??

This is a software issue. I don't know anything about your software and you
don't mention what kind of computer you have. The software is actually
putting an intertrack spacing in there. It may be adjustable on yours if
you look at the manual.

Peter Larsen

Paul Stamler wrote:

What software are you using? You said it came with the HP burner,
but weren't more specific.

He was, HP's own concoction. Thanks for the comments on the use of Nero
tho' - just got me 5.5 bundled with Plextools Professional and their
dongle, a CD rom burner. Be aware that you have to get the retail
version of the premium model to get the right Plextools version. Be
prepared for surprises when you get able to test the quality of CD's and
CD-R's.

I don't think. Roxio doesn't do this.

Feurio appears to be good, but the learning curve can appear steep due
to the very many options. It is designed specifically for music CD's and
only for that.

Paul

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Paul Stamler

Others have covered the power cord issue; this is about the gaps in the CD.

What software are you using? You said it came with the HP burner, but
weren't more specific. If it's Nero Express, that program has a default of
inserting the dreaded 2-second gap between tracks, and you need to remember
to turn it off every time. Exceptionally annoying. In the screen where you
create the program for the CD (it probably says "My Audio CD" at the top)
there's a check-box that says "No pause between tracks". You need to check
that box every single time you create a CD -- oh, and if you open the file
again later to do another copy, you have to check it again. Real smart human
interface engineering, I don't think. Roxio doesn't do this.

Oh, and whatever program you're using, make sure it's configured for "Disc
At Once", not "Track At Once".

Peace,
Paul

Bob Olhsson

"Fella" wrote in message
I don't if the following effects I've experienced are "placebo" or not:
increase and more control in the bass, sweeter more extended treble,
more discernable and detailed micro dynamics. It was as if it was a REAL
upgrade of some sorts, a new cd player, a better amp ??

My experience has been that cleaning and tightening up your AC power all the
way back to the pole will make things sound just as good using any
reasonably well made AC cord.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

EganMedia

My system is as follows:
Densen beat b100 mk5 amp
Cambridge audio azur 640c cd player
Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano speaks
QED xtube 300 speaker wire + banana plugs

You don't specify the thickness of the gold electroplate on the banana plugs,
nor the brand name. A banana plug of proper pedigree is necessary to allow the
better power from the audioquest power cord to get to the speaker. Think of
the line outside Studio 54 in the 70's. Same idea.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

hank alrich

EganMedia wrote:

My system is as follows:
Densen beat b100 mk5 amp
Cambridge audio azur 640c cd player
Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano speaks
QED xtube 300 speaker wire + banana plugs

You don't specify the thickness of the gold electroplate on the banana
plugs, nor the brand name. A banana plug of proper pedigree is necessary
to allow the better power from the audioquest power cord to get to the
speaker. Think of the line outside Studio 54 in the 70's. Same idea.

Good point, Joe; and I wonder what kind of strings are in those piano
speakers? Can't hammer these points home hard enough - no reason to soft
pedal this stuff when bench marks are at stake.

--
ha

Marc Wielage

On Jul 11, 2004, Fella commented:

I don't if the following effects I've experienced are "placebo" or not:
increase and more control in the bass, sweeter more extended treble,
more discernable and detailed micro dynamics. It was as if it was a REAL
upgrade of some sorts, a new cd player, a better amp ??
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

You can never underestimate the psychological effects of upgrades like this.
If it makes you *feel* better, then you can argue that the upgrade was worth
it.

The reality -- to me -- is that AC power goes through so much crap, from the
substation to your neighborhood, and from the telephone pole (or underground
cable) to your house, putting it through a $10,000 piece of 3' AC cable won't
make a difference. If you rewire the house and put massive filters on all
the current coming in, THAT might make a slightly bigger difference. I do
believe that AC current has an effect on sound quality, but I don't think
it's a major one, unless something is terribly wrong somewhere.

On continuous pieces with track
numbers changing in the middle my CD player plays the tracks normally,
there is no cut off between tracks, the music does not cut, with the
original. But with the CD-r versions the player cuts the music to give a
two second in-between tracks silence which needles to say divides the
music and spoils the whole experience, the whole concept of the CD.
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

Use better CD audio-burning software, and you can avoid all these problems.
Nero is fine at the low-end ($50 or so), and you can specify "Track-at-once"
mode and have 0 seconds between tracks.

Other good CD audio-burning Windows software packages include Sony's Sonic
Architect (about $250) and Steinberg Wavelab (about $500). Each has its pros
and cons, but they do the job pretty well, certainly better than the HP
software you're using now.

--MFW
[remove the extra M above for email]

Fella

hank alrich wrote:

EganMedia wrote:

My system is as follows:
Densen beat b100 mk5 amp
Cambridge audio azur 640c cd player
Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano speaks
QED xtube 300 speaker wire + banana plugs

You don't specify the thickness of the gold electroplate on the banana
plugs, nor the brand name. A banana plug of proper pedigree is necessary
to allow the better power from the audioquest power cord to get to the
speaker. Think of the line outside Studio 54 in the 70's. Same idea.

Good point, Joe; and I wonder what kind of strings are in those piano
speakers? Can't hammer these points home hard enough - no reason to soft
pedal this stuff when bench marks are at stake.

--
ha

Naa, I was just kidding you guys. I am using this panasonic casette
player / radio (it aint stereo and made in the seventies, did they have
stereo then, anyways, the only slight prob with it is that it's handle
broke off)) to listen to music. I mean, what *else* do ya need to
listen to friggin music? All ya need is that you *hear* the friggin
thing *reach* yer ears, aint it so? Them fancy shpancy densen beat grand
piano, darn, who needs'em, sheeeeiiiieeet.

hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

nobody was ever hurt by a placebo.

Unless they actually needed medicine.