George

Default ebay fraud alert

I got this today

Dear valued eBay member,

We regret to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due to
concerns we have for the safety and integrity of the eBay community.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning,
temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and
refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may
cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may
also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any
information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited
from using eBay in any way. This includes the update of your actual account.

If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and
update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with
the online service.

Please update your records by the 15th of August.

Once you have updated your account records your eBay session will not be
interrupted and will
continue as normal.

To update your eBay records click on the following link:
http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?UPdate

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
eBay, Inc.

Copyright © 1995-2003 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and
Privacy Policy.

funny thing is I do not have a ebay account and have never bought or
sold anything via ebay
George
KingMe

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:12:42 -0700, Jay Kadis wrote:

These are attempts to get unsuspecting folks to cough up their info. I keep
getting them, ostensibly from banks and other places I don't have accounts.

-Jay

Link is definitely to eBay...unless it's a hidden link...
Marc Wielage

On Aug 19, 2004, George commented:

funny thing is I do not have a ebay account and have never bought or
sold anything via ebay
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

This is a well-known scam.

Forward the Email (with all the message headers intact) to eBay Customer
Support . They'll handle it from there.

--MFW
[remove the extra M above for email]

George writes:

[...]

I actually got my account suspended. Why? Well, another user in the
domain "uwaterloo.ca" did something bad. uwaterloo.ca is a University domain,
and they restarted my account once I complained about this. Annoying though.
Just like Paypal. They "shoot first" and ask questions later!

Richard
Paul J. White

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:56:21 -0400, KingMe wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:12:42 -0700, Jay Kadis wrote:

These are attempts to get unsuspecting folks to cough up their info. I keep
getting them, ostensibly from banks and other places I don't have accounts.

-Jay

Link is definitely to eBay...unless it's a hidden link...

These messages usually have link text that looks (or is) legitimate,
but the underlying html reference for the link goes somewhere else.
So, you click the link thinking you're going to be directed to one
place, and you end up somewhere else. Some mail readers will pup up
the link address when you roll your mouse over a link, or even better,
you can "view source" to verify that links really go where they're
supposed to.
Anyway, as Marc said in another post, just forward the whole message
to .

L David Matheny

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message ...
snip
Forward the Email (with all the message headers intact) to eBay Customer
Support . They'll handle it from there.

You're thinking of PayPal, for which the address is .
For eBay it's
.

Pooh Bear

L David Matheny wrote:

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message ...
snip
Forward the Email (with all the message headers intact) to eBay Customer
Support . They'll handle it from there.

You're thinking of PayPal, for which the address is .
For eBay it's
.

No -
is indeed the correct address to forward these phishing emails to.

Graham