Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default cd recorder for church

I've been requested to investigate the best freestanding CD recorder
to install in the sound both at church. If anyone has a recommendation
on a low cost one please advise.
Thanks
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Korgi

Hi Paul,

Tascam make pretty good ones, I have a CD-RW700 - (I think the current
model is the CD-RW750) and it's served me very well indeed. Rock solid,
superb sound quality (both as recorder and CD-player), plays and
records CD-R & CD-RW, very intuitive, a choice of Unbalanced I/O,
S/PDIF digital and Optical IO. In short, everything you need.

....and you get the added bonus of 24-bit converters on board - should
you wish to use it as a stand-alone digital interface for your computer
system!

It costs about 300 Pounds Sterling (yes, I'm British) - so I guess if
you're in the States it would cost you about 300 bucks - everything is
cheaper over there, you lucky people!

Bart

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

wrote:
I've been requested to investigate the best freestanding CD recorder
to install in the sound both at church. If anyone has a recommendation
on a low cost one please advise.

Do you want the best, or a low cost one?

The hhb 830 "BurnIt" seems reasonably cheap and reasonably reliable.
It's not the best or the cheapest but it's decent.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Engnrguy

I use a Tascam CC-222mkII it is a combo tape and CD player/recorder.
When I record live I feed it from the A or B out on the MixWiz 16:2 I
typically use.

So far the performers have really liked the output, some have even
asked if they could use it on an album. The thing is mounted in a rack
and has been put through the typical live sound abuses and I have had
no issues with it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
news
I've been requested to investigate the best freestanding
CD recorder to install in the sound both at church. If
anyone has a recommendation on a low cost one please
advise.

The best freestanding low-cost CD recorder is probably either a DVD recorder
or a Flash memory recorder. ;-)

If you have a little money to spend and really want a CD-R as your
deliverable, then it quickly comes down to HHB and Tascam.

I have a HHB at church and it gets the job done - next time I might buy the
Tascam.

Of course putting a CD recorder into the sound booth quickly propels you
into the difficulties of recording the output of a live sound board.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:29:19 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Of course putting a CD recorder into the sound booth quickly propels you
into the difficulties of recording the output of a live sound board.

The quality of the live board is all there getting now with a cassette
recorder. Which is "good enough" since parishioners who request tapes
are elderly and often don't even own a CD player.
This was a request by the church piano player who instead of hiring me
to come and record him, asked me to find a decent cheap recorder he
could buy for the church and install it, so he could get his brother
to record him there.
The nerve!
Oh well it's about time the church upgraded this.
Thank you all for the help. It may be more than he's will to spend
anyway.
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

wrote:

Of course putting a CD recorder into the sound booth
quickly propels you into the difficulties of recording
the output of a live sound board.

The quality of the live board is all there getting now
with a cassette recorder. Which is "good enough" since
parishioners who request tapes are elderly and often
don't even own a CD player.

Didn't know the background, so I went through the usual list of caveats.

CDs will be a better reflection of board sound than cassette, and the
higher SQ may encourage more critical listening.

This was a request by the church piano player who instead
of hiring me to come and record him, asked me to find a
decent cheap recorder he could buy for the church and
install it, so he could get his brother to record him
there.

I do that sort of thing at my church for free.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message...

I do that sort of thing at my church for free.

You get what you pay for. ;-)

Sorry.... I couldn't resist. I haven't been here regularly in a while.

I'd personally take an old PC ($250 or so for say, a PIII 450 w/256mg) and
load it up with SoundForge and CD Architect. Probably just a few dollars
more than any free-standing burner and you'll have editing facilities.

DM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message...

I do that sort of thing at my church for free.

You get what you pay for. ;-)

Sorry.... I couldn't resist. I haven't been here regularly in a while.

I'd personally take an old PC ($250 or so for say, a PIII 450 w/256mg) and
load it up with SoundForge and CD Architect. Probably just a few dollars
more than any free-standing burner and you'll have editing facilities.

If the church is any significant size, you can probably find a parishoner
who is upgrading and would donate their old system to the church (tax
write-off, etc.) And you can most likely do any capture, editing, and
CD burning with free or very cheap software. Main disadvantage is
that is is not a single-button solution like a hardware CD recorder.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:38:14 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

This was a request by the church piano player who instead
of hiring me to come and record him, asked me to find a
decent cheap recorder he could buy for the church and
install it, so he could get his brother to record him
there.

I do that sort of thing at my church for free.

Yep I put in the sound system for them after spending time researching
what would work best. The difference here is just that he wants to
record himself for his own use and use church gear which he'd like me
to research and install. It's not a huge big deal, I thought it would
be nice if he hired me to engineer. I know he truly doesn't have the
budget though. It wasn't a rant just some disappointment.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:14:53 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
wrote:

I'd personally take an old PC ($250 or so for say, a PIII 450 w/256mg) and
load it up with SoundForge and CD Architect. Probably just a few dollars
more than any free-standing burner and you'll have editing facilities.

DM

Not a bad idea. I was thinking about offloading my computer since I
bought Tom Paul's old one. This might be an affordable option if they
can find space in the booth.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in
message news:h3wCf.1193$Ix.756@trnddc07
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message...

I do that sort of thing at my church for free.

You get what you pay for. ;-)

PR value: immeasurable.

Sorry.... I couldn't resist. I haven't been here
regularly in a while.

I'd personally take an old PC ($250 or so for say, a PIII
450 w/256mg) and load it up with SoundForge and CD
Architect. Probably just a few dollars more than any
free-standing burner and you'll have editing facilities.

Actually, you can price even lower than that and get comparable or better
results. Instead of SF, load Audacity. Instead of the external burner turn
the screws on a LiteOn internal CD burner (about $25-30 with Nero).

That external burner really wants a USB 2.0 port, but the PIII will only
come with USB 1.1 ports.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in message

I'd personally take an old PC ($250 or so for say, a PIII 450 w/256mg) and
load it up with SoundForge and CD Architect. Probably just a few dollars
more than any free-standing burner and you'll have editing facilities.

$150 is more like it; I'm writing this on a Compaq Deskpro I got at Computer
Renaissance when my old machine's motherboard keeled over and I had very
little cash in the bank (it was right after Real Estate Tax month). $150;
add a decent sound card and a hard drive with some capacity and you're good
to go. (Watch Best Buy for the sales.) Or, as someone noted, look for a
giveaway. A PIII 450 is all I use for 2-track work provided I keep my CD
burns to 8x.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Engnrguy

If you went this route you could even spend some cash on a Delta 44 or
something of the like (Used for like $50) and be able to do minimal
multitracking.

I did this for the last church I was at. I purchased 2 delta 44's so I
could have 8 tracks which I fed from their 4 sub group outs and two
audience mics. They used it as a chance to record and edit worship,
choir pieces or youth concerts. They would then burn to cd and sell at
the church to pay for more audio gear. Even with copyrighted worship
material, CCLI mentioned they could sell up to a certain percentage of
you total membership roster before having to pay royalties.

Just a thought and it sure beats just tapping the main out from a live
sound console.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael R. Kesti

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message...

I do that sort of thing at my church for free.

You get what you pay for. ;-)

Sorry.... I couldn't resist. I haven't been here regularly in a while.

No, no, NO! How many times do I have to say it? You DON'T always get what
you pay for but you can be certain that you will NEVER get more than you pay
for!

I'd personally take an old PC ($250 or so for say, a PIII 450 w/256mg) and
load it up with SoundForge and CD Architect. Probably just a few dollars
more than any free-standing burner and you'll have editing facilities.

That sounds good until you realize that, sooner or later, somebody's going
to do somthing like delete the C:\Windows folder. And probably sooner than
later!

| two, one and one make one."
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Michael R. Kesti" wrote in message ...
"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message...

I do that sort of thing at my church for free.

You get what you pay for. ;-)

Sorry.... I couldn't resist. I haven't been here regularly in a while.

No, no, NO! How many times do I have to say it? You DON'T always get what
you pay for but you can be certain that you will NEVER get more than you pay
for!

The reason I am still in business for myself today, is that anyone who
hires me *always* gets more than they pay for. Otherwise, they might
foolishly think someone else could do a better job.

I'd personally take an old PC ($250 or so for say, a PIII 450 w/256mg) and
load it up with SoundForge and CD Architect. Probably just a few dollars
more than any free-standing burner and you'll have editing facilities.

That sounds good until you realize that, sooner or later, somebody's going
to do somthing like delete the C:\Windows folder. And probably sooner than
later!

Ummmm..... and that would be the kind of person that works for free?? g

Besides, if the data was on a seperate drive or behind a partition like it
should be... what difference would it make? ;-)

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
leutholl

get and m-audio microtracks. I know the situation in churches very
well, we do the cd-job know over 10 years in a christian church.
started with an external cd recorder, then using the line-in of the pc
and use cooledit, later we found the pc to be instable.... and know
every church here wants to use the m-audio microtrack. bonus: it is
mobile - and evangelism is mobile - so that's the point.
Find a group of you people willing to give the 10% of their income for
a recording solution - trust god you I hope you will have one. Or find
some old people to support the youth or wherever you are - there is
always a solution.

We use also the Tacam CD-RW750. very good! but know everybody migrate
to the m-audio microtrack.

if you lie in europe try the german store www.thomann.de and subtract
the vat of germany (currently about 16%). They will do it if you live
abroad.

Greetings,

Lukas Leuthold

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 29 Jan 2006 14:12:54 -0800, "leutholl"
wrote:

m-audio microtrack

Thanks for the suggestion, this would be the right option if it didn't
require some one to then load it onto a computer to make copies. The
person wanting to buy this for the church has no computer skills and
no home sound gear. He just want to record onto a CD and send it off
in the mail. No edits.