Charles Krug

Default Technics SL-J2 Turntable?

I recently was given an Technics SL-J2 Turntable.

Is this trash?

If not, what do I do about the stylus and cartridge? Is the stock
cartridge Good Enough?

Thanks

Charles

Scott Dorsey

Charles Krug wrote:

I recently was given an Technics SL-J2 Turntable.

Is this trash?

For the most part, if you care about low flutter. These things are
intended to cue up fast rather than to have smooth operation.

If not, what do I do about the stylus and cartridge? Is the stock
cartridge Good Enough?

Good enough for what? Most of these were sold with a bargain basement
Audio-Technica cartridge, but not all of them were. What does yours have?
Since it's a P-mount, as I recall, your options are limited.

Charles Krug

On 31 Jan 2005 15:12:23 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Charles Krug wrote:

I recently was given an Technics SL-J2 Turntable.

Is this trash?

For the most part, if you care about low flutter. These things are
intended to cue up fast rather than to have smooth operation.

I do note that the turntable is not exactly what I'd call "massive"

If not, what do I do about the stylus and cartridge? Is the stock
cartridge Good Enough?

Good enough for what? Most of these were sold with a bargain basement
Audio-Technica cartridge, but not all of them were. What does yours have?
Since it's a P-mount, as I recall, your options are limited.
--scott

Good enough to listen, and occasionally to digitize from vinyl.

Audio-Technica TC450LP

It's a bit of an odd-duck. I've never seen another turntable with
a similar mechanism, but because it happened at the end of the LP
(iirc), it's hard to make any judgement as to its merits, other than "It
hasn't been duplicated."

Scott Dorsey

Charles Krug wrote:

I recently was given an Technics SL-J2 Turntable.

Is this trash?

For the most part, if you care about low flutter. These things are
intended to cue up fast rather than to have smooth operation.

I do note that the turntable is not exactly what I'd call "massive"

That's the basic problem. The turntable isn't heavy enough for good
damping, and the arm is kind of flimsy and ringy.

If not, what do I do about the stylus and cartridge? Is the stock
cartridge Good Enough?

Good enough for what? Most of these were sold with a bargain basement
Audio-Technica cartridge, but not all of them were. What does yours have?
Since it's a P-mount, as I recall, your options are limited.

Good enough to listen, and occasionally to digitize from vinyl.

I would not consider it good enough to listen to, but hook it up and see.
I suspect you will be very disappointed in the sound.

Audio-Technica TC450LP

I do not think you will be happy with this. It has a lot of top end
tizz and the arm resonances will make it worse.