Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bruce[_8_] Bruce[_8_] is offline

Default adat troubles

Greetings folks. First time posting to this news group.
Just recently a friend of mine picked up a used Alesis Adat xt with the
dreaded error 7 out of the box. I have a good knowledge of electrical
circuits(20 plus years). Have done the usual searches on the net, an have
alot of things to check. my question, anyone out there have a service
manual for this bugger. Any help greatly appreciated.

bruce
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Bruce wrote:
Greetings folks. First time posting to this news group.
Just recently a friend of mine picked up a used Alesis Adat xt with the
dreaded error 7 out of the box. I have a good knowledge of electrical
circuits(20 plus years). Have done the usual searches on the net, an have
alot of things to check. my question, anyone out there have a service
manual for this bugger. Any help greatly appreciated.

Service manual is still available from Alesis for a reasonable fee. The
expensive part is the alignment tape set which you will have to buy from
them in order to do the regular cleaning and alignment work.

Eddie Ciletti may still have some information on his page about working on
those machines and he is a really good resource for general questions on
repairing them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba gtbuba is offline

On Sep 9, 6:25*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Greetings folks. *First time posting to this news group.
Just recently a friend of mine picked up a used Alesis Adat xt with the
dreaded error 7 out of the box. I have a good knowledge of electrical
circuits(20 plus years). Have done the usual searches on the net, an have
alot of things to check. *my question, anyone out there have a service
manual for this bugger. *Any help greatly appreciated.

Service manual is still available from Alesis for a reasonable fee. *The
expensive part is the alignment tape set which you will have to buy from
them in order to do the regular cleaning and alignment work.

Eddie Ciletti may still have some information on his page about working on
those machines and he is a really good resource for general questions on
repairing them.

Sometimes it just needs cleaning. I was taught on the black face which
is different in part. There was a way to get the machine drum heads to
spin without tape in the machine. Used some sort of special tech cloth
and cleaning fluid. I was told to wet the cloth and touch the spinning
drum lightly. You will hear the speed slow down a hair as you touch
it. Sometimes the white cloth will be black from dirt on the head and
the machine will work fine. If not is there a adat repair in Tampa FL?
It might be cheaper to buy a working machine than fix some of those
beast's. Lord I don't miss them one bit!!!! GT.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba gtbuba is offline

Bruce wrote:
[...]

Here is a link to cleanning at your own risk!
http://www.proaudiosupport.com/a1449...t-xt-xt20.html
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bruce[_8_] Bruce[_8_] is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Bruce wrote:
Greetings folks. First time posting to this news group.
Just recently a friend of mine picked up a used Alesis Adat xt with the
dreaded error 7 out of the box. I have a good knowledge of electrical
circuits(20 plus years). Have done the usual searches on the net, an have
alot of things to check. my question, anyone out there have a service
manual for this bugger. Any help greatly appreciated.

Service manual is still available from Alesis for a reasonable fee. The
expensive part is the alignment tape set which you will have to buy from
them in order to do the regular cleaning and alignment work.

Eddie Ciletti may still have some information on his page about working on
those machines and he is a really good resource for general questions on
repairing them.
--scott

Thanks Scott...I have read his work. Lots of good info.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bruce[_8_] Bruce[_8_] is offline

gtbuba wrote:

On Sep 9, 6:25Â*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Greetings folks. Â*First time posting to this news group.
Just recently a friend of mine picked up a used Alesis Adat xt with the
dreaded error 7 out of the box. I have a good knowledge of electrical
circuits(20 plus years). Have done the usual searches on the net, an
have alot of things to check. Â*my question, anyone out there have a
service manual for this bugger. Â*Any help greatly appreciated.

Service manual is still available from Alesis for a reasonable fee. Â*The
[...]

Yup, I got to agree with you. With what is available out there, it might be
worth keeping the remaining hairs in my head. I have not pronouced it a
doorstop yet(guess its just the tech in me) but I do know when its time to
say Uncle. Thank for your help.

Bruce
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bruce[_8_] Bruce[_8_] is offline

Bruce wrote:
Greetings folks. Â*First time posting to this news group.
Just recently a friend of mine picked up a used Alesis Adat xt with
the dreaded error 7 out of the box. I have a good knowledge of
electrical circuits(20 plus years). Have done the usual searches on
the net, an have alot of things to check. Â*my question, anyone out
[...]

beast's. Lord I don't miss them one bit!!!! Â*GT.

Here is a link to cleanning at your own risk!
http://www.proaudiosupport.com/a1449...t-xt-xt20.html

Thankx for the info. Have read simular on a few of the sites that I have
visited.

Bruce
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Here is a link to cleanning at your own risk!
http://www.proaudiosupport.com/a1449...t-xt-xt20.html

isn't that part of an ADAT basically the same as a standard consumer
grade VHS VCR?

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Mark wrote:

Here is a link to cleanning at your own risk!
http://www.proaudiosupport.com/a1449...t-xt-xt20.html

isn't that part of an ADAT basically the same as a standard consumer
grade VHS VCR?

Yes, and the good news is that a lot of the parts in the transport are
standard VHS parts. The idler is available from any place that carries
TV repair supplies.