Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Reel-to-reel recorders

After embarking on my journey to bring my Tascam 32 back to life, I have a new
appreciation for the mechanical complexity of these machines. It is totally a
mystery to me how Tascam or Otari ever made any money selling these. There are
so many proprietary parts that it is daunting to even go through the parts list.

Tascam Parts responded to my email this morning. They have the pinch rollers and
capstan belts in stock at lower prices than I have seen elsewhere. I already
ordered a belt from eBay, darn it. It would be interesting to know when Tascam
is going to surplus their entire inventory of parts for their reel machines.

I would really love to have a playback only ATR102. Oh, well!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba gtbuba is offline

On Aug 31, 3:21*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
After embarking on my journey to bring my Tascam 32 back to life, I have a new
appreciation for the mechanical complexity of these machines. It is totally a
mystery to me how Tascam or Otari ever made any money selling these. There are
so many proprietary parts that it is daunting to even go through the parts list.

Tascam Parts responded to my email this morning. They have the pinch rollers and
capstan belts in stock at lower prices than I have seen elsewhere. I already
ordered a belt from eBay, darn it. It would be interesting to know when Tascam
is going to surplus their entire inventory of parts for their reel machines.

I would really love to have a playback only ATR102. Oh, well!

Yes when Analog went out a lot of repair techs went out of business or
had to find something else to repair. Adats provided a lot of work for
a few years. I just bought a Studer A807. It needs a part or two. Get
out the wallet.
GT.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Ts[_2_] Jay Ts[_2_] is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
After embarking on my journey to bring my Tascam 32 back to life, I have
a new appreciation for the mechanical complexity of these machines. It
is totally a mystery to me how Tascam or Otari ever made any money
selling these. There are so many proprietary parts that it is daunting
to even go through the parts list.

It's called manufacturing -- sadly, a nearly lost art in the USA and UK.
I've taken apart various old things, including tape recorders, and
often wondered how people could ever have designed anything
that worked so well, without having computers and CAD software.

Once I rescued a 4-track Tascam reel-to-reel deck from a garage
sale. There was a problem with the electronics on one of the tracks,
and because the circuit was all through-hole, with discrete transistors,
I was able to repair it using just a DMM and a soldering iron. I had to
replace one of the transistors, and I got it working again.

I hope you have success too.

Jay Ts
Posted to rec.audio.pro

It is totally a mystery to me how Tascam or Otari ever made
any money selling these. There are so many proprietary parts
that it is daunting to even go through the parts list.

Thye used the same transport on multiple models.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jay Ts wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
After embarking on my journey to bring my Tascam 32 back to life, I have
a new appreciation for the mechanical complexity of these machines. It
is totally a mystery to me how Tascam or Otari ever made any money
selling these. There are so many proprietary parts that it is daunting
to even go through the parts list.

It's called manufacturing -- sadly, a nearly lost art in the USA and UK.

Hmmmmm... not so much. Cheaper, better digital replacements
are just everywhere.

I've taken apart various old things, including tape recorders, and
often wondered how people could ever have designed anything
that worked so well, without having computers and CAD software.

It used to take much, much longer to design things. Still,
something like an iPhone represents a horrendous amount of NRE.

Once I rescued a 4-track Tascam reel-to-reel deck from a garage
sale. There was a problem with the electronics on one of the tracks,
and because the circuit was all through-hole, with discrete transistors,
I was able to repair it using just a DMM and a soldering iron. I had to
replace one of the transistors, and I got it working again.

And that is what we lose. Which is kinds sad, but them's breaks.

I hope you have success too.

Jay Ts

--
Les Cargill