Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Two-Track Reel-to-Reel

Does anyone here have a buddy in or around Raleigh, NC with a perfectly
functioning two-track reel-to-reel machine? I have a bunch of tapes that I
absolutely have to dub to digital. I've been offered the use of one by a regular
member here, but he's several hours away, I'd have to stay in a hotel, and I
would be imposing on his generosity. If I could find someone in the area, life
would be good.

Having been sick the last couple of days, I decided to tear into my Tascam 32-2,
thinking that it only had a problem with the pinch roller, which I have.
However, the drive belt is stretched to the point of useless, and I don't have
one of those. (Recommended source?)

I'd consider spending some money having the unit gone through by someone who has
worked on one in the last few years, but the sources I had here are not
repairing them any longer. It's not a bad unit, when it's working.

(While I have your attention, how do you change the drive belt? Does the
capstan, flywheel, and mounting bracket all have to be removed?)

Suggestions appreciated. I don't know how I let myself get into this situation.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

If you can find a four-channel machine (such as an Otari), you might find
that using tracks #2 and #3 is satisfactory.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] geez@ao1.com is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

If you can find a four-channel machine (such as an Otari), you might find
that using tracks #2 and #3 is satisfactory.

YUK!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

If you can find a four-channel machine (such as an Otari),
you might find that using tracks #2 and #3 is satisfactory.

YUK!

The OP had a TEAC, I believe. I guarantee you, an Otari would be a sonic
improvement over a TEAC.

What would /you/ recommend that's actually available?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

Osceola Studios in Raleigh has an Otari 1/2" 2-track machine, and
could probably do the transfers for you. - http://www.osceolastudios.com/

-Neb

On Aug 29, 4:18*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

Also, if you're still looking to get your Tascam machine repaired, I'd
try Bull City Sound in Durham, NC - http://bullcitysound.com/

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
Having been sick the last couple of days, I decided to tear into my Tascam 32-2,
thinking that it only had a problem with the pinch roller, which I have.
However, the drive belt is stretched to the point of useless, and I don't have
one of those. (Recommended source?)

Russell Industries (PRB Line) will have them. They will also have new pinch
rollers; I'd get one since if your spare has been on the shelf for a long time
it could be a problem. Tascam Parts may still stock them also; they are very
good about keeping wear items in stock.

I'd consider spending some money having the unit gone through by someone who has
worked on one in the last few years, but the sources I had here are not
repairing them any longer. It's not a bad unit, when it's working.

I never much liked the things because they always seemed to have flutter
issues when compared with the other broadcast-grade machines like the 440.

(While I have your attention, how do you change the drive belt? Does the
capstan, flywheel, and mounting bracket all have to be removed?)

I don't remember, I haven't done a 32 in years. On the 38, there's a bracket
and a pulley if I recall. Service manual will have pictures.