Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Sound Board Suggestions

"Arny Krueger" writes:

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

I hope the new styrofoam material was moisture
proof/resistant....Strikes me that mould would be a
problem with most materials in an atmosphere like that.

More to the point, hopefully it was fire resistant.

Lately we seem to have experienced a goodly number of unfortunate deaths due
to people obtaining good sound along with considerable risk of catastrophic
fire.

I probably should not have said "styrofoam" -- these sheets only look like it from a
distance (I missed the day they were put in and didn't see one close up). I'm sure
they are moisture inert (2 years and no visible decay so far) and flame retardant.

Inspectors come in for various things on a weekly/biweekly basis. The county here is
very strict, once in a while stupidly so...

This room has a full-on fire suppression system (lots of fire sprinkler heads
overhead). This is in a room with cinderblock walls and a corrogated steel ceiling.
And where the floor itself isn't concrete, it's water!!! Most of the floor area is
water -- three pools' worth.

I always chuckle as the spray from my backstroke obscures my view of the fire
sprinklers overhead.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer[_3_] Ethan Winer[_3_] is offline

On Sep 2, 12:27 pm, Frank Stearns
wrote:
The 1" 703 behind the diaphragm in the trap is a shock absorber, and moderates
rebound flex of the diaphragm

Yes, this is true for wood panel bass traps. Though the entire
assembly acts as a shock absorber for sound waves. The fiberglass is
equivalent to the viscous damping material in a mechanical shock
absorber. Regardless, the net result is still absorption. There may be
side-effects, such as the wood panel continuing to vibrate after the
sound source goes away. But as long as the sound reflected is less
than the sound arriving at the panel, at least some of the sound has
been absorbed.

--Ethan
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Bill Graham" wrote in message

I hope the new styrofoam material was moisture
proof/resistant....Strikes me that mould would be a
problem with most materials in an atmosphere like that.

More to the point, hopefully it was fire resistant.

Lately we seem to have experienced a goodly number of unfortunate deaths
due to people obtaining good sound along with considerable risk of
catastrophic fire.

Yes, but indoor swimming pools have a humidity problem all their
own.....When I first moved up here to Northern Oregon, I had the opportunity
to buy a house with one, but I decided not to assume all the problems that I
could see in its future.....I'm glad now that I didn't....Far better to buy
a house with an outside pool, and then figure out a way to cover it in the
Winter so you can swim all year.....