Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default How much EQ should a mic need?

"muzician21" wrote in message

Thinking primarily of vocal tracks, how intensely should
you expect to eq something?

Whatver it takes, but do take a good listen to the unprocessed sound. See
what can be done acoustically.

Should the sound of the mic be mostly "good" as is and should need only
mild tweaking
or is it often pretty radically altered?

That is entirely dependent on what you get to work with and what your goals
are.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Sep 1, 8:35*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"muzician21" wrote in message

Thinking primarily of vocal tracks, how intensely should
you expect to eq something?

Whatver it takes, but do take a good listen to the unprocessed sound. See
what can be done acoustically.

Should the sound of the mic be mostly "good" as is and should need only
mild tweaking
or is it often pretty radically altered?

That is entirely dependent on what you get to work with and what your goals
are.

I'll add this aspect..

when you track (record) with a certain mic, whatever coloration the
mic adds, you are more or less stuck with... so it's a good idea to
use a good mic

if you want to EQ during mixing, you are free to change it and
experiment all you want, over and over......

consider the logistics of ...you get to record only once (or a few
times) but you can mix (and EQ) all you want...

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mark" wrote in message

On Sep 1, 8:35 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"muzician21" wrote in message

Thinking primarily of vocal tracks, how intensely should
you expect to eq something?

Whatver it takes, but do take a good listen to the
unprocessed sound. See what can be done acoustically.

Should the sound of the mic be mostly "good" as is and
should need only mild tweaking
or is it often pretty radically altered?

That is entirely dependent on what you get to work with
and what your goals are.

I'll add this aspect..

when you track (record) with a certain mic, whatever
coloration the mic adds, you are more or less stuck
with... so it's a good idea to use a good mic

if you want to EQ during mixing, you are free to change
it and experiment all you want, over and over......

consider the logistics of ...you get to record only once
(or a few times) but you can mix (and EQ) all you want...

Agreed. I track clean and do the EQ during the mixdown.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Sep 1, 12:46*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

On Sep 1, 8:35 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
[...]

I'm printing tracking sessions with about half the eq I think I'm
going to add later. There are different ways of working and
production lines, and printing with some eq works in my situation -
where I know what sound I'm going for, I'm usually working on an
analog desk and using Pro Tools as a tape recorder, and where
sometimes someone else may be mixing on another desk or "in the box"/
Pro Tools.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba gtbuba is offline

On Sep 1, 5:11*pm, WillStG wrote:
On Sep 1, 12:46*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message

On Sep 1, 8:35 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
[...]

No rules just right...........No record with or without a little
compression. No eq until you mix. I have to use 2- 5dbs of highs with
my U87 API Distressor vocal chain. It's the Distressror. I love that
compressor,but it takes a little high off.
GT.