Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default Do 61 Key Keyboards have voices up to 88 keys???

In other words, if I use an 88 key keyboard to MIDI trigger
a 61 key keyboard, will the keys from 62-88 still sound properly?

I would guess that they should, because most 61 key versions
have an 88 key version (usually with weighted keys), and it would seem
wise to use the same software and hardware between the two, but I'm
not sure.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Paul wrote:
In other words, if I use an 88 key keyboard to MIDI trigger
a 61 key keyboard, will the keys from 62-88 still sound properly?

The dime store models probably won't, but those that are
designed to be used by musicians can be transposed so that
you can pick up the missing octave at the top (or bottom) by
dropping the other end. It's usually on a menu. Typically a
"short" keyboard robs some notes from both ends, not just
the top end.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
Paul wrote:
In other words, if I use an 88 key keyboard to MIDI trigger
a 61 key keyboard, will the keys from 62-88 still sound properly?

The dime store models probably won't, but those that are designed to be
used by musicians can be transposed so that you can pick up the missing
octave at the top (or bottom) by dropping the other end. It's usually on a
menu. Typically a "short" keyboard robs some notes from both ends, not
just the top end.

Most of the good ones have a switchable range.....You can toggle it to shift
it up or down and octave or more.....They have (usually) one more key than
some multiple of 12.....IOW, a two octave keyboard will have (2 x 12 )+ 1,
or 25 keys, a three octave keyboard will have (3 x 12) + 1 or 37 keys and so
forth.....Oddly, a full piano keyboard breaks this rule with 88 keys,
instead of 85, which would be 7 x 12 + 1.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Aug 31, 10:20*pm, Paul wrote:
* * *In other words, if I use an 88 key keyboard to MIDI trigger
a 61 key keyboard, will the keys from 62-88 still sound properly?

* * *I would guess that they should, because most 61 key versions
have an 88 key version (usually with weighted keys), and it would seem
wise to use the same software and hardware between the two, but I'm
not sure.

Like the others said, most can switch for live use - in software
though, you're only limited by the sound source. You can shift midi in
software to play back whatever you want it to so any midi keyboard
should actually be able to trigger 127 note keyboard. .... if there
were one....

Long winded - short version.... Any casio with midi should work to do
anything you need it to, provided it hads a decent touch sensitivity
to it and any other controls you might need to play the intended sound
file i.e sustain pedal or expression wheel.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gjsmo gjsmo is offline

On Aug 31, 11:20*pm, Paul wrote:
* * *In other words, if I use an 88 key keyboard to MIDI trigger
a 61 key keyboard, will the keys from 62-88 still sound properly?

* * *I would guess that they should, because most 61 key versions
have an 88 key version (usually with weighted keys), and it would seem
wise to use the same software and hardware between the two, but I'm
not sure.

I should imagine so, as most sounds are synthesized on the spot (real
pianos and some other instruments are usually sampled).
Can't be sure though, but it does seem quite logical.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] Leon@nospam.com is offline

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:20:04 -0700 (PDT), Paul wrote:

In other words, if I use an 88 key keyboard to MIDI trigger
a 61 key keyboard, will the keys from 62-88 still sound properly?

I would guess that they should, because most 61 key versions
have an 88 key version (usually with weighted keys), and it would seem
wise to use the same software and hardware between the two, but I'm
not sure.

The keyboard and the sound generator are actually quite different things in
midi, and should be quite independent. In other words, a sound generator should
be able to generate any musical note, and doesn't care about the keyboard. The
midi "keyboard" data could come from anywhere, even a PC file.

If your 61 note keyboard can be transposed up and down for the full range, it
should work fine.

The only thing I know of that could conceivably cause a problem is those custom
sampled instruments that are sampled for every key. But I would imagine that the
sound generator would just re-sample the missing frequencies.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Sep 3, 12:26*pm, Paul wrote:
On Sep 1, 3:33*am, Mike Rivers wrote:

Paul wrote:
* * *In other words, if I use an 88 key keyboard to MIDI trigger
a 61 key keyboard, will the keys from 62-88 still sound properly?

The dime store models probably won't, but those that are
designed to be used by musicians can be transposed so that
you can pick up the missing octave at the top (or bottom) by
dropping the other end. It's usually on a menu. Typically a
"short" keyboard robs some notes from both ends, not just
the top end.

* * * *Specifically, I want to trigger a 61-key Korg TR, with a Yamaha
P-85.

No worries, it will work fine
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Paul wrote:
* * *In other words, if I use an 88 key keyboard to MIDI trigger
a 61 key keyboard, will the keys from 62-88 still sound properly?

The dime store models probably won't, but those that are
designed to be used by musicians can be transposed so that
you can pick up the missing octave at the top (or bottom) by
dropping the other end. It's usually on a menu. Typically a
"short" keyboard robs some notes from both ends, not just
the top end.

* * * *Specifically, I want to trigger a 61-key Korg TR, with a Yamaha
P-85.

No worries, it will work fine

So all the pianos will be like full 88 keys, and even all the
synth leads, and
organs, and horns, etc??

And will i have to do any special programming, for the upper
and lower octaves, or
will it be as simple as connecting with a MIDI cable?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ble?sku=330889