dave

Default Discrete Console wanted, who's got one FS???

Hello Folks-

Im looking for a discrete console. Ive been looking for a long ****ing time.
There's gotta be someone out there with a decent console for sale. Here's
what I need: 24 channels minimum, 32-40 ish input preferred. Transformers
everywhere. No automation. Thats about it. Console can be in pristine
condition, or totally broken, so long as its price reflects its reality.
Would ultimately prefer a sphere or a quad eight with a discrete audio path,
however we can afford an API or Neve and yes, we do know what they cost. If
anyone has a console FS, or overheard a guy in the next booth at a restaurant
mention he knows a guy who did a session at a place and overheard the janitor
mention that a console is for sale, please drop me a line at
. Im not at all concerned with features, actually the
simpler the console, the better. I have a console full of features now, Im
trying to find something that SOUNDS COOL, not something that has features
every which way at the cost of the thing sounding excellent.

There must be consoles around. I'll even consider a freaking 16 input at
this point and come up with an elaborate side car solution.

Anyone?

Bueller?

thanks!

dave

Justin Ulysses Morse

Dave,
You really ought to pick up a Yamaha PM1000. You would love it. You
should be able to pick one up for about $250 or so. Right up your
alley. It's only 16 channels, but there are four "sub" inputs as well.
Input transformers on everything, nice big output transformers, very
simple class A discrete circuitry throughout (there are only two types
of amplifier circuits used in the whole circuit) except for the
headphone amps. And there's lot of room inside for cutting and
pasting. Check Google because this board has been discussed ad
absurdum here over the last many years. I had one, and I liked the
sound but it has NO features.

ulysses

In article nk.net,
dave wrote:

[...]

ThePaulThomas

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote in message ...
Dave,
You really ought to pick up a Yamaha PM1000. You would love it. You
should be able to pick one up for about $250 or so. Right up your
alley. It's only 16 channels, but there are four "sub" inputs as well.

There were two frames built for the PM-1000. A 16 channel frame and a
32 channel frame. Some of the 32 channel frames were "shortloaded"
with only 24 strips so you will see PM-1000's in 16, 24, and 32
channels if you start looking for one. However, they all had the same
4 sub-groups with the 4 send matrix section on each subgroup and no
stereo master outputs (just use two of the matrix sends).

I had one, and I liked the sound but it has NO features.
ulysses

The don't have individual channel inserts or phantome switches. Just
a global phantom power switch. There are inserts for the 4 sub-groups
but you'll have to add your own inserts somehow. There's only two
auxillaries per channel. The channel strips are modular and very easy
to remove and easy to work on which is good because if you find one
it'll probably need to be recapped (which is easy to do) since they're
all at least 25 years old a this point. But they do sound great. Do
the Google search and read as much as you can about them. Enjoy.
Justin Ulysses Morse

ThePaulThomas wrote:

They don't have individual channel inserts or phantome switches. Just
a global phantom power switch. There are inserts for the 4 sub-groups
but you'll have to add your own inserts somehow. There's only two
auxillaries per channel. The channel strips are modular and very easy
to remove and easy to work on which is good because if you find one
it'll probably need to be recapped (which is easy to do) since they're
all at least 25 years old a this point. But they do sound great. Do
the Google search and read as much as you can about them. Enjoy.

Hell, those are just the superfluous features the PM1000 is missing.
It also doesn't have channel mutes, EQ bypass, or Pan bypass. Those
are some pretty important features if you want to mix a record.

ulysses

Buster Mudd

dave wrote in message rthlink.net...

[...]

Call up Geoff Daking & buy a new desk. If you can afford Neve or API &
are willing to pay anything so long as "price reflects its reality"
the Daking console is almost a no-brainer. I nearly besmirched my
trousers when I saw the longframe desk w/ 24-track monitor section at
AES...sweeeeet!
Techmeister

Hunh??

It is full of 20 year old circuitry which, while indeed discrete, was only passable
audio, as the era of hifi in Live Sound had barely begun.

I and a few other custom board makers were making things with clean signal path back
then, but none of the major guys were until the later PM desks came along...

The Yamaha is pretty "foggy" sounding by todays standards, IMNSHO, couldn't pay ME
to try to record on anything that old from them. Works fine for live though, you can
cover up a lot more.

And not to mention missing ALL the basics for monitoring and running a modern
session!

Techmeister

--
David 'db' Butler, Consultant
Acoustics by db
LeBaron & Alrich

Techmeister wrote:

Hunh??

Indeed.

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=7989

--
ha
Justin Ulysses Morse

Techmeister wrote:

couldn't pay ME to try to record on anything that old from them.

Wasn't planning on it.

ulysses