Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
- - : R A T B o y : - -

Default ID'ing old Magnavox console components

I'd like some feedback regarding specifications for some speakers &
crossovers I have.

A few years back, my parents gave me their old '60s Magnavox console stereo
after it "died" because I'd mentioned interest in those HUGE woofers and
horns.

I had no interest in the dead control/amplifier units so I merely scavenged
the speakers and crossovers, chunked the dead hardware and used the cabinet
for fireplace kindling.

I never thought to notice this unit's model number. But now that I am
wanting to put these thing to use, I cannot determine what the speaker/horn
specs are nor the values of the unmarked crossover components.

I'd like to know what these speakers are rated at & whether they are 4, 8 or
ohm. I'd like to recreate the original x-overs. I've tested a couple of
different sets of commercially produced x-overs (connected to 4, 8 & 16 ohm
outputs) but like the sound better through the originals.

Here is what I do know:
This unit was one of Magnavox's first solid-state versions ca. 1965.
It was about 6 feet long with removable sliding wooden panels on the top.
The control unit and record-changer were in the right-hand side.
An album storage bin and speaker selector switch were located in the
left-had side
The amp was 50 watts and was remotely located in the bottom of the cabinet.
The woofers are 15" in diameter and say, "Magnavox 581515-1 719"
The horns are 11.5"x5" aluminum and about 12" long (no markings).
The tuner was AM/FM/Multiplex.
It sported a Gerrard record-changer.
The x-overs were actually combined on one cardboard circuit board.
There was no baffling for the speakers... the cabinet acted as one giant
plenum.