bigbossfan80

Default Was I LIED to with this ALARM?

I recently purchased an AlphaGuard AG-95G from an eBay seller located
in Hong Kong. I got the alarm really quickly and was happy with the
communication and service this seller offered. But one of the main
reasons I bought the alarm was because he states the alarm is an "FM"
system.

But now that I have the alarm, I see the instruction manual says that
it works on the 433.92 MHz frequency, which, correct me if I'm wrong,
is an RF band, and not FM.

To view the alarm in question, you can go he

http://www.worldwide-export.com/alph...rm/ag-95g.html

I really love the looks of the pager/keychain and the quality looks
very good, but I feel that alarm companies should not state "FM" if
it's really just an RF alarm, right?

Or, am I totally confused and all FM alarms use the same 433 MHz
frequency band?

Also, if this is the case, is there anything I can do to get a better
range/distance for activating the Remote Starter etc. I think I
remember reading before that CB antenna's give a LOT better distance?

THANKS!
I.Care

In article ,
says...
[...]

RF simply means that it is Radio Frequency, it has to transmit the
signal somehow right? FM means Frequency Modulation, the *technique*
used to impress data/signal on the RF carrier. One is the
transmitted/received tansport medium, RF, the other is the method used
to put the data/signal being transported, FM. For example the Amateur
Radioitebds use part of the 440mhz FM band and transmit voice and data.

My Clifford Matrix alarm states "Operates at 434mhz and incorporates
Directed's proprietary XHF2 out-board Responder Technology remote
control. The high frequency combined with Binary Data communications
achieves superior range with two-way communication."

Look here to see my Clifford - select productsmatrix then scroll/click
on the picture on the "Time" magazine:

http://www.directed.com/coms.asp

My alarm has loooong range. I have been inside a mall with my car
parked across the parking lot several hundered feet away and I can still
remote start it and receive confirmation on the remote's display screen.
Of course I was near the windows. It uses the windshield mounted di-pole
antenna just like the one pictured in your reference. The article says
it has a 1/4 mile range in open country.

The CB antenna is tuned for ~27mhz and would not work. Antennas are
tuned partly by length to receive the best signal at a specific
frequency range. The transmitter in your remote would most likely be
the limiting factor. More power requires more/bigger battery more
powerful electronics (bigger) or shorter battery life (you don't get
something for nothing), so unless you want a remote designed to use a
"D" cell flashlight battery and is the size of a walkie talky....

Proper expert installation is going to be your biggest problem, some
manufacturers won't warranty their systems unless installed by factory
aitebrized installers, for whatever that's worth.

I don't think you have a problem with the Alarm design or the sellers
honesty as far as operating on FM goes. If you carefully read the
features on the page you referenced is says uses "FM Technology".

--
I.Care
Address fake until
thelizman

bigbossfan80 wrote:
I recently purchased an AlphaGuard AG-95G from an eBay seller located
in Hong Kong. I got the alarm really quickly and was happy with the
communication and service this seller offered. But one of the main
reasons I bought the alarm was because he states the alarm is an "FM"
system.

FM does not refer to the band of frequencies in this case. FM itself
actually means "frequency modulation" - a system in which information is
encoded on a radio signal by changing that signals frequency slightly.
You can do FM at just about any frequency range.

It'd be stupid to have an alarms receiver/transmitter operate in the "FM
Band", since any radio station could jam your transmitter and prevent
you from disarming your alarm.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.