Deafboy

Default Crossover design question

I'm designing a two-way loudspeaker system using Dynaudio drivers. I
modeled the impedance and acoustic frequency responses of the drivers
using CALSOD from measurements that I've taken. I designed the
crossover for each driver in order to get 4th order L-R alignments. So
far so good. My question is, since drivers aren't perfect, should I
optimize the final -system- response for flattest frequency response
or should I try to get as close as possible to the theoretical L-R
alignments? If I try to get flattest system response then each driver
+ crossover section deviates quite a bit from the theoretical L-R
alignments. I may get very flat frequency response but I lose
advantages of the L-R alignments.

Which is the better compromise for getting best subjective results?

Thanks in advance,

Michel
anybody-but-bush

"Deafboy" wrote in message
m...
: I'm designing a two-way loudspeaker system using Dynaudio drivers. I
: modeled the impedance and acoustic frequency responses of the drivers
: using CALSOD from measurements that I've taken. I designed the
: crossover for each driver in order to get 4th order L-R alignments. So
: far so good. My question is, since drivers aren't perfect, should I
: optimize the final -system- response for flattest frequency response
: or should I try to get as close as possible to the theoretical L-R
: alignments? If I try to get flattest system response then each driver
: + crossover section deviates quite a bit from the theoretical L-R
: alignments. I may get very flat frequency response but I lose
: advantages of the L-R alignments.
:
: Which is the better compromise for getting best subjective results?

After you are done with all your calculations and computer models and measurements, change the
CO however necessary to make the speaker sound good. Theory, measurement and design calcs only
assume the result will sound good and there is no way to judge sound quality from such.

From my experience it takes a certian type of person many years of fiddling with this stuff
to make a speaker that sounds good and is true to the source.

Philip Abbate
www.philsaudio.com
:
: Thanks in advance,
:
: Michel

Peter Larsen

Deafboy wrote:

I'm designing a two-way loudspeaker system using Dynaudio drivers. I
modeled the impedance and acoustic frequency responses of the drivers
using CALSOD from measurements that I've taken. I designed the
crossover for each driver in order to get 4th order L-R alignments. So
far so good. My question is, since drivers aren't perfect, should I
optimize the final -system- response for flattest frequency response
or should I try to get as close as possible to the theoretical L-R
alignments? If I try to get flattest system response then each driver
+ crossover section deviates quite a bit from the theoretical L-R
alignments. I may get very flat frequency response but I lose
advantages of the L-R alignments.

Do you? - how is the power curve?

Anyway, I don't understand what your concern is, are you worried that
the electric output from the cross-over does not look like the required
slope-shape or are you worried that the acoustic output from each driver
does not look like the required cross-over shape?

Which is the better compromise for getting best subjective results?

The one that takes best care of the treble unit powerhandling and
excursion concerns.

I think the compromise solution is to optimize the treble unit
cross-over components separately and then defined them as FIXED
when a fair version of a correct acoustic output is obtained.

It is probably not wise to have all cross-over components variable in
the final optimization and you are likely to be better off by letting
the low frequency unit have an imperfect slope due to overall system EQ
getting applied by CALSOD. IF the slope for the treble unit has to be
imperfect, then it should be below the target rather than above it.

It is *required* to measure the actual units in the actual box,
preferably in a location like the intended (corner, wallmount, free
standing, bookshelf or flush in wall) prior to deciding on what kind of
cross-over at what frequency that will fit the actual project.

There are very many ways in which you can nudge CALSOD to do things
differently. It may also be that the L-R target is not the wisest choice
for the design in question, look for what the design wants to do.

Thanks in advance,

Your mileage may vary wildly.

Michel

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

anybody-but-bush

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
: Deafboy wrote:
:
[...]

I agree with Peters lesson above. I would like to point out that there are programs that do
the work of the Calsod optimizer, measure drivers with MLS and also allow you to HEAR what
you are modeling. All the while listening you can see the various predictions on the screen as
the program emulates playing music into your room over your drivers in your speakers. .

I sell LspCAD for this purpose. With LspCAD you have a crossover breadboard in the PC. Using a
multi channel sound card you can output low level signals which are filtered in accordance
with the computer network you enter/optimize. Connect these signals to amps and your drivers
in the box in the room and you can hear the differences you are wondering about. You can step
value for each part in the CO, You can have the optimizer step part(s) values to match a
target, be it an imported measurement or a pre defined curve like LR.

You can save up to 8 crossovers and instantly switch between them. When you finally find a
network that degrades the sound of your music with any part change you are done. Now you have
the option of building the emulated CO with passive parts, active parts (salen-key) or you can
flash it into a Behringer 2496 active DSP crossover.

Phil Abbate
LspCAD Dealer
www.philsaudio.com/lspcad.htm