Posted to rec.audio.misc
Harry Putnam

Default record with delta 66 - missing something basic

NOVICE ALERT!

I'm missing something very basic I think. I have an m-audio delta-66
sound card and breakout box installed on a winxp pro machine.

Playing audio files works fine but I'm at a loss as to how to record
something. The delta 66 manual shows several recording setups all of
them involving external equipment like guitars, preamps or whatever.

I want to record sound from NPR (National Public Radio) from their web
pages or any of a number of other online sources. So in my case the
sources are on the same computer as the delt66.

All recording setups described in the manual involve plugging stuff
into 1 and 2 in sockets on breakout box. So when the sound src is on
the same computer how do I tell delta 66 to listen to that source?

Does something need to be plugged into the in sockets on breakout box?
If so, from where?
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Greg Oliva

I would think the answer to that would lie with whatever recording
software you are using. The manual for the Delta 66 doesn't provide a whole
lot of information, does it? I have one, too.. but the Delta it seems to me
is out of the loop on this subject. You may want to try the cakewalk.audio
newsgroup for this question, as a number of Sonar users also employ M-Audio
Delta interfaces.

Greg Oliva

"Harry Putnam" wrote in message
NOVICE ALERT!

I'm missing something very basic I think. I have an m-audio delta-66
sound card and breakout box installed on a winxp pro machine.

Playing audio files works fine but I'm at a loss as to how to record
something. The delta 66 manual shows several recording setups all of
them involving external equipment like guitars, preamps or whatever.

I want to record sound from NPR (National Public Radio) from their web
pages or any of a number of other online sources. So in my case the
sources are on the same computer as the delt66.

All recording setups described in the manual involve plugging stuff
into 1 and 2 in sockets on breakout box. So when the sound src is on
the same computer how do I tell delta 66 to listen to that source?

Does something need to be plugged into the in sockets on breakout box?
If so, from where?

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger

"Harry Putnam" wrote in message

NOVICE ALERT!

I'm missing something very basic I think. I have an
m-audio delta-66 sound card and breakout box installed on
a winxp pro machine.

Playing audio files works fine but I'm at a loss as to
how to record something. The delta 66 manual shows
several recording setups all of them involving external
equipment like guitars, preamps or whatever.

I want to record sound from NPR (National Public Radio)
from their web pages or any of a number of other online
sources. So in my case the sources are on the same
computer as the delt66.

All recording setups described in the manual involve
plugging stuff into 1 and 2 in sockets on breakout box.
So when the sound src is on the same computer how do I
tell delta 66 to listen to that source?

Well, you say that you can play sound to your hearts content and have it
show up on the output jacks of the Delta 66, right?

All you need to record is to loop the signal from the output jacks to the
input jacks, and also have a program that records audio from the Delta 66.

On the software front, the obvious choice is Audacity which is fully
functional and freeware.

On the hardware front, all you need to do is plug a pair of 1/4" cables from
a pair of output jacks to the input jacks, and configure your software to
use those pairs of jacks.

I don't have my Delta 66 here, but it may be possible to pypass using any
wiring by setting up the Delta control panel and configuring the Delta
controller software.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Harry Putnam

"Arny Krueger" writes:

On the hardware front, all you need to do is plug a pair of 1/4" cables from
a pair of output jacks to the input jacks, and configure your software to
use those pairs of jacks.

I wondered it that was it, and looked quie hard at the control panel,
trying to see something obvious about connecting out to in. I didn't
notice it but as you've mentioned delta-66 manual is not all that
helpfull.

I don't have my Delta 66 here, but it may be possible to pypass using any
wiring by setting up the Delta control panel and configuring the Delta
controller software.

If you happen to get around where you can look at the control panel
please take a peek and let me know if you see something of interest.
The manual can be viewed in pdf here but doesn't have many views of
panel:
http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/...257/index.html
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Rich Wilson

With every other sound card I've seen the software is irrelevant - simply go
to the Windows Volume Control and select the appropriate input in the
recording section. Usually "stereo mix" or something like that.

Having said that, my sound card won't do this in digital mode so I've got a
loop of optical cables, to the receiver and back again.

et...