Peter Larsen

Default Should I Re-cone a JBL L-65 Woofer ??

Powell wrote:

I am wondering if my investment would be in the right direction.
I know that speaker technology has advanced a lot in 20 years,
and that dollar for dollar, I would assume that you get more with
current purchases.

Speaker are incrementally better today.

No. Some speakers now are better than some speakers were then, yes.

Your speakers were never designed to handle digital media.

Just what is it you mean by this?

In addition
the material sciences involved in speaker building has
greatly benefitted from computerization which wasn’t
available in the 70's.

Otoh back then some manufacturers actually listened.
Computer-optimization _does_ mean that getting the cross-over right is
faster and that component count can be reduced.

Today we can build better
mouse traps but they often lack the aesthetics of the
Jubal, for example.

Agreed.

How much more than the $450 would I have to spend to
get something as good or better in today's market, and
what recommendation of speakers would you
suggest ?

"good or better"... please define?

Much would depend on your intended application? IMO
$450 might be better spent on new (modern) drivers and
crossovers, there are many source vendors.

Assuming it is the 2405 equipped model, no tweeter replacement. There is
no midrange unit replacent, a modernized version may exist but it will
most certainly not be cheap. The bass units range upwards is extreme and
it matches the physical cabinet, there is no bass unit replacement.

What may be possible is to redo or tweak the crossover, I had my L100's
serviced last year - before Quali-Fi, the classic JBL importer here in
Denmark closed shop with new tweeter surrounds, new tweeter center-domes
and a recommended cross-over modification.

I recently
did this with a pair of 70's vintage Altec speakers with ok
(fair) results.

Quali-Fi's result with my L100's was better than "fair", the
obnoxiousity was addressed and the virtues maintained and enhanced.

What you appear to say is that you replaced the Altec units, and
cross-over and only kept the boxes? - You do not say what model it was,
but in the context of the L-65 only lesser components are available, I
find it probable that you had gotten better results by looking into the
cross-over only and perhaps bracing the box.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Cross over question Jim H Tech 23 July 23rd 05 08:29 PM
Consequences of replacing 8 ohm woofer with 4 ohm woofer in home theater sub? fone.freaky Tech 8 June 14th 05 11:20 PM
Mackie HR824 Woofer Problem Jedd Haas Pro Audio 19 December 16th 04 01:18 PM
Article draft from Ferstler Howard Ferstler Audio Opinions 91 October 6th 04 06:30 PM
Genelec 1030a woofer cone repair Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 1 September 25th 03 05:40 PM