Chris Mullins

Default ok anyone out there that actually knows what they're doing

looking for someone to chat with e-mail or aim or whatever about making a
ported box for 2 15" subs. I will be doing it myself, i have read a lot but
have no hands on experience.

e-mail me at mattm(at)naxs(dot)com

electron pimp

What R you looking for...exactly.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
"Chris Mullins" wrote in message
looking for someone to chat with e-mail or aim or whatever about making a
ported box for 2 15" subs. I will be doing it myself, i have read a lot
but have no hands on experience.

e-mail me at mattm(at)naxs(dot)com

Chris Mullins

Someone to talk to about what i should do, i have to fit about 10ft^3 (or
more if possible) for these two subs, i'm going ported and need to know
exactly how to port to a certain frequency (i'm thinking about 32). if i
use more ports how does the port length change etc etc etc. I need someone
who doesn't just say "port it" i need specifics. I have a few program i've
been running to get the porting right but they don't change port length when
i increase the number of ports, seems like they should...

"electron pimp" wrote in message
ink.net...
What R you looking for...exactly.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
"Chris Mullins" wrote in message
looking for someone to chat with e-mail or aim or whatever about making a
ported box for 2 15" subs. I will be doing it myself, i have read a lot
but have no hands on experience.

e-mail me at mattm(at)naxs(dot)com

Mister.Lull

Download a program called WinISD, it's free and can calculate all that
stuff for you in a fraction of the time it would take to do it by
hand...
Mister.Lull

Mister.Lull

P.S. WinISD DOES change the port length with the number, size, and
shape of the ports. I've played around with it quite a bit for that
reason specifically.
Mister.Lull

Chris Mullins

I have WinISD but can't get it to show port lengths, i get a weird error
that says my port length is zero (or less that zero) or some crap like that.
Any ideas?

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
P.S. WinISD DOES change the port length with the number, size, and
shape of the ports. I've played around with it quite a bit for that
reason specifically.
Mister.Lull

Mister.Lull

Double check and make sure that you've put ALL of the Theile/Small
measurements for your driver into the program. There might be
something important missing. I think the one that's often left out is
the SPL, which is needed for port length/width...
Mister.Lull

Daniel Snooks

Chris Mullins wrote:
I have WinISD but can't get it to show port lengths, i get a weird
error that says my port length is zero (or less that zero) or some
crap like that. Any ideas?

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
P.S. WinISD DOES change the port length with the number, size, and
shape of the ports. I've played around with it quite a bit for that
reason specifically.
Mister.Lull

what T/S parameters have you input for your sub? you may be missing some
that are required to calculate tuning

--
Dan Snooks

Chad Wahls

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Double check and make sure that you've put ALL of the Theile/Small
measurements for your driver into the program. There might be
something important missing. I think the one that's often left out is
the SPL, which is needed for port length/width...
Mister.Lull

Why would you need sensitivity for calculating port dimensions? You should
need just Qts, Vas, and Fs.

They can't calculate minimum size without chugging with sensitivity alone
and thats the only reason I could see to have it.

Chad

Chad Wahls

"Daniel Snooks" wrote in message
.. .
Chris Mullins wrote:
I have WinISD but can't get it to show port lengths, i get a weird
error that says my port length is zero (or less that zero) or some
crap like that. Any ideas?

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
P.S. WinISD DOES change the port length with the number, size, and
shape of the ports. I've played around with it quite a bit for that
reason specifically.
Mister.Lull

what T/S parameters have you input for your sub? you may be missing some
that are required to calculate tuning

--
Dan Snooks

And one of the freebies wanted the Vas in liters this could be a problem if
you are just copying numbers.

Chad

Chris Mullins

i got the t/s parameters from here, i changed the units when necessary
except i used the 1W@1M for spl
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/archiv...-S%20specs.htm

Also, i might need to start another thread for this but just to see if i can
get a response, any idea where i can get a tube to mount the subs in? 15"
sub 14.125" cutout and 15.5" overall i need a 36" long tube

Chris Mullins wrote:
I have WinISD but can't get it to show port lengths, i get a weird
error that says my port length is zero (or less that zero) or some
crap like that. Any ideas?

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
P.S. WinISD DOES change the port length with the number, size, and
shape of the ports. I've played around with it quite a bit for that
reason specifically.
Mister.Lull

what T/S parameters have you input for your sub? you may be missing some
that are required to calculate tuning

--
Dan Snooks

And one of the freebies wanted the Vas in liters this could be a problem
if you are just copying numbers.

Chad

Daniel Snooks

Chris Mullins wrote:
I have WinISD but can't get it to show port lengths, i get a weird
error that says my port length is zero (or less that zero) or some
crap like that. Any ideas?

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
P.S. WinISD DOES change the port length with the number, size,
and shape of the ports. I've played around with it quite a bit
for that reason specifically.
Mister.Lull

what T/S parameters have you input for your sub? you may be missing
some that are required to calculate tuning

--
Dan Snooks

And one of the freebies wanted the Vas in liters this could be a
problem if you are just copying numbers.

Chad

Well ... I don't know what you are doing wrong, but I plugged in the T/S
values and came up with the following:

WinISD beta version 0.44

vented box volume - 9.664 cubic feet (woah ... that's way huge)
tuned @ 23.49Hz
single 4" diameter port 3.35" in length

Maybe a sono-tube (for fence posts and such) ... might find one that is 18"
in diameter, check local building supply store.
hth,

--
Dan Snooks

Chris Mullins

Alright thanks, i'll just start from scratch again later and see if can get
it to come out right, must have had something wrong. Oh well. Yea it is
way huge, and i am running 2 of them so i'm pretty much screwed, we'll
see how they do with 10cubes for the pair, if its not good enough i'll get
rid of one and just run one..easy enough. i got them on super clearance for
$244 shipped for the pair so i'm not going to be upset if i can't use them
both.

"Daniel Snooks" wrote in message
. ..

Chris Mullins wrote:
[...]

Kevin Murray

I used an 18" Sonotube to house a 15" sub with great success. Try googling
"sonosub" to see some projects other people have built. There are many other
brands of tube that work equally well, like Quicktube. The tubes can be
expensive so find a place that will cut it for you so you only pay for what you
need.

Kevin Murray

Chris Mullins wrote:
I have WinISD but can't get it to show port lengths, i get a weird
error that says my port length is zero (or less that zero) or some
crap like that. Any ideas?

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
P.S. WinISD DOES change the port length with the number, size, and
shape of the ports. I've played around with it quite a bit for that
reason specifically.
Mister.Lull

what T/S parameters have you input for your sub? you may be missing some
that are required to calculate tuning

--
Dan Snooks

And one of the freebies wanted the Vas in liters this could be a problem
if you are just copying numbers.

Chad

Daniel Snooks

Chris Mullins wrote:
Alright thanks, i'll just start from scratch again later and see if
can get it to come out right, must have had something wrong. Oh
well. Yea it is way huge, and i am running 2 of them so i'm pretty
much screwed, we'll see how they do with 10cubes for the pair, if
its not good enough i'll get rid of one and just run one..easy
enough. i got them on super clearance for $244 shipped for the pair
so i'm not going to be upset if i can't use them both.

If you want to do 10 cubes for 2, then go sealed. A car install will
compensate for the earlier roll-off. Should be sweet.

--
Dan Snooks