jibbidy joe

Default Cheap microphone for entry-level recording.

Hello again,

I was looking at a mic to record vocals (and occasional acoustic guitar
and drum overheads). I found this mic that comes with a case and shock
mount:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/273156/

At $60, this allowed me to get both a USB audio device and a mic for
around $200.
Does anyone have any comments to make regarding this mic?

Thanks,
Joe

Richard Kuschel

Hello again,

I was looking at a mic to record vocals (and occasional acoustic guitar
and drum overheads). I found this mic that comes with a case and shock
mount:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/273156/

At $60, this allowed me to get both a USB audio device and a mic for
around $200.
Does anyone have any comments to make regarding this mic?

Thanks,
Joe

It will be just fine for your intended purpose(s).

Get it, have fun with it and in a couple of years you will be able to
appreciate the microphones that cost the big bucks.

Richard H. Kuschel
jibbidy joe

Thanks for the advice. I already have an SM58. Would the SM58 be a
better mic than the MXL990 for vocals?
I suppose I'll be able to test it myself soon!

Joe

Barry Mann

In .com, on 12/30/04

at 05:15 AM, "jibbidy joe" said:

Thanks for the advice. I already have an SM58. Would the SM58 be a
better mic than the MXL990 for vocals?
I suppose I'll be able to test it myself soon!

I almost didn't read this thread because "cheap" often means $20.00 or
so. These microphones are very poor and really are a waste of time
since there are some very capable microphones starting at a little over
$150.00.

Microphones are quite a lot like speakers. Each has its strong and weak
points. One person will think microphone A is wonderful and the next
person will think it is blah. The pros have a stable of mics that they
pick from. (one for vocals, one for drums, etc.) Many professional
musicians insist that they be recorded using their own personal
microphone.

The SM58 is very popular among pros, but your milage may vary.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Laurence Payne

On 30 Dec 2004 05:15:15 -0800, "jibbidy joe"
wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I already have an SM58. Would the SM58 be a
better mic than the MXL990 for vocals?
I suppose I'll be able to test it myself soon!

Not better. Different.

The SM58 is a workhorse mic well suited to live performance. It's
rarely chosen for studio recording of voices.

Large-diaphragm condenser mics have long been popular for vocal
recording, particularly for voices that required flattering, not
necessarily accurate recording :-) These have traditionally ranged
from rather expensive to very expensive. Just recently, a lot of
low-cost mics of this type have hit the market. The MXL990 is one of
these. For the price, you can hardly lose! Give it a try.