Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default SACD vs SACD or DVD Audio player

"Peter" wrote in
message
"Arny Krueger" wrote

IOW you are right. Paraphrasing what you wrote, you
should think that the specs of good SACD (and CD) players
are way above anything anybody can hear.
Therefore nobody should expect to hear any differences at
all. However, hope
springs eternal. Many have tried to disprove it, and
everybody to date has failed.

But yet there certainly seem to be audible differences
between various CD players, and even within the same CD
players when for instance the upsampling rate is user
variable.

Take what we know about audibility of frequency response variations from the
psychoacoustics guys and compare that to the actual measured performance of
even medium-priced CD/DVD players. You'll come up with not so much, or even
less.

Furthermore I do believe that every CD player
manufacturer ultimately "tunes" the output of their
equipment to how THEY feel it sounds best, and surely
this can lead to audible differences between various CD
players.

The measured performance of good CD/DVD players leaves no room for that sort
of finagling.