Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default MKH416 vs NTG3

On 4/2/2021 11:27 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
I have used a Sennheiser MKH416 for over 20 years for VO. (I know it's a
boom mic/shotgun.) It is marvelous for the application. On a friend's
recommendation, I bought a (used) Rode NTG-3. Between the two, in an A-B
comparison using the same mic, preamp, monitors, etc., the Rode sounds
darker. Who can I send the mic to for comparison? There's probably
nothing wrong with it. The guy who sold it to me is a straight shooter,
but I wonder if he sold it because he didn't like the (dark) sound of it.

You could send it to Rode for testing... but.... since the MKH416 has a
monster presence peak on-axis in order to help you pull good dialogue out
of the muck, I would not be surprised if most other microphones seemed
dark in comparison.
--scott

Maybe that's what I'm hearing. What set me off is I read a review
somewhere today that the NTG-3 was brighter than the MKH416. That's not
my experience. A couple of years ago, I bought an MD441. It was terribly
dark. I have no idea how Stevie Nicks sang through one. My hearing is
deteriorating, so I'm curious as to whether I'm the problem. However,
the MKH416 sounds good to my ears.

My monitoring system needs updating, as well. I haven't completed setup
my systems since I moved in 2016.