Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default difference between 8ohm and 4ohm speakers . . .

On Nov 30, 10:35*am, Kalman Rubinson wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:38:10 -0800 (PST),ChrisCoaster

wrote:
As for the ohms/resistance thing, manufacturers design their receivers/
amps to produce a given output at a given range of resistance(load).
That may be either 4~8ohms or 8~16ohms. *I haven't seen a model that
can drive 4~16ohms - yet - but I'm sure there are a couple out
there.

Actually, once you leave the world of multichannel receivers where as
much as possible is packed on to one small chassis and power supply,
it is common to have amplifiers (not AVRs) which are completely stable
and competent with loads from 4 - 16 ohms.

Kal

You mean, Kal, that there are actually multichannel AMPLIFIERS for
sale now? Thank heavens. With DVI & HDMI inputs in addition to all
the analogs we've been accustomed to?

I guess I haven't been following the dedicated amp side of this
business as well as I've been immersed in all-in-one receivers(AM-FM-
phono preamp + all the AV inputs). How about digital 5-channel hybrid
(graphic OR para- switchable)EQs with presets? Now we're talkin'
stuff I'd actually like in my rack.

-CC