Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

Default difference between 8ohm and 4ohm speakers . . .

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:38:10 -0800 (PST), ChrisCoaster
wrote:

As for the ohms/resistance thing, manufacturers design their receivers/
amps to produce a given output at a given range of resistance(load).
That may be either 4~8ohms or 8~16ohms. I haven't seen a model that
can drive 4~16ohms - yet - but I'm sure there are a couple out
there.

Actually, once you leave the world of multichannel receivers where as
much as possible is packed on to one small chassis and power supply,
it is common to have amplifiers (not AVRs) which are completely stable
and competent with loads from 4 - 16 ohms.

Kal