Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default difference between 8ohm and 4ohm speakers . . .

"vlad" wrote in message
1. Looking in specs of new receivers I noticed that they quote their
power ratings for 8ohms without mentioning 4ohms without mention if I
can plug in 4ohms speakers. So is it safe to assume that modern AV
solid state receiver can handle 4ohm?

It's usually safe to assume that if they don't mention 4 ohm speakers, then
the amp is designed for 8 ohm speakers only.
IF you keep well below maximum power output, you can probably get away with
4 ohm, however it is far better to buy an amp rated for the purpose, or buy
8 ohm speakers.

2. I need to buy new pair of surrounds. Should they be too 4ohms. Can
I mix 4ohms and 8 ohms?

If the amp is rated for 4 ohm speakers, it will have no trouble using 8 ohm
speakers on some channels.

MrT.