Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] is offline

Default Is this really what you'd expect from an audio balun

In article , "Bob F"
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
On Sun, 5 May 2013 09:44:40 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

The schematic here seems completely wrong to me.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/conten...ts/50-7725.pdf

http://canada.newark.com/mcm-custom-...-rca-plug-rj45
-shield/dp/96K0889

Looks OK to me. It's configured as a series common mode stopper.
What's the problem?

Will this design eliminate ground loop problems? My concept of baluns was
that
they isolated the two ends by placing them on opposite windings of a
transformer. I am no expert, which is why I asked.

It will stop ground loop problems for the range of frequencies where the
transformers work. It's not clear what that is.

Transformers have a limited working range of frequencies. The ones you
posted have DC to MHz passthrough but limited common mode blocking. The
other wiring of isolators blocks DC to MHz common mode but only passes
through maybe 50Hz to 15 Khz; more or less depending on the quality.
Isolators can do weird things to the impedance too.

If this is pro-audio, the absolutely best fix is using balanced cables
with balanced connectors. The audio quality will be superior to any
other hack.