Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default DJ mixers XLR output capability or caveats

On 2008-10-17 said:
I'm researching Direct Boxes. It would seem
that an active box would be a better choice if one needs
to drive XLRs over a distance.

Not necessarily. A passive direct box has a step-down transformer
which lowers impedances to microphone standards, which are capable
of "driving XLRs over a distance".

fOr the potential distances the op's likely to encounter I"d
say a passive di would most likely be the right choice.
My basic rule of thumb for di allocation is that instruments
such as guitars and instruments with pickups not already
boosted (those that usually don't require battery or
external pwoer) get the active di.

A good di will also allow you to lift signal ground if the
interace with the dj mixer creates that annoying buzz.
LIfting signal ground is always preferrable to lifting
elsewhere.

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania