Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Default DJ mixers XLR output capability or caveats

On Oct 17, 9:57*am, "Powell" wrote:
"Laurence Payne" *wrote

Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

All DJ desks will have a Line Out. *Sometimes it will
be on XLR, more often than not it will be an RCA jack.
What they may not have is a SPARE Line Out, over
and above the one used for their own sound system.

Good points. In high end audio, for example, a preamp's
output is sometimes referred to as an active line level
because voltages typical vary from 1 to 10 volts. And in
the case of some tube equipment like Audio Research
XLR output can reach 50 volts. If a DJ board only had
single ended or XLR outputs which are used to drive
power amps, I would think that these types of active
(non-line level / 2 volts) outputs should be avoided, no?

If you're aiming to walk into clubs etc. and ask for a feed from the
desk you need an assortment of adapter cables and other equipment. *If
there's a pair of XLR Line inputs on the camera, presumably there's
also a pair of XLR Mic inputs? *I'd start off with a pair of DI boxes..
Place these near the desk and hook up whatever outputs are available.
Then run XLRs to the camera. *This gives you input flexibility and a
ground lift - useful should you wish to run the camera on it's mains
power adapter.

Thank you. I'm researching Direct Boxes. It would seem
that an active box would be a better choice if one needs to
drive XLRs over a distance. I'm not thrilled about asking
the DJ for AC power for a space eating wallwart but a
battery power unit might work, if they are available.

Another option would be to place a A/D adaptor to USB at
the DJ mixer. But I'll be about 80' away. That would
require a USB repeater and 80' USB cable.

I'd consider a small flash recorder at the DJ board to record the
sound...then you and the camera can move around without worrying about
cables...

also record the room sound via the camera mic.

combine the sound and video in post..

Mark