Posted to rec.audio.pro
Powell Powell is offline

Default DJ mixers XLR output capability or caveats

"Laurence Payne" wrote

Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

All DJ desks will have a Line Out. Sometimes it will
be on XLR, more often than not it will be an RCA jack.
What they may not have is a SPARE Line Out, over
and above the one used for their own sound system.

Good points. In high end audio, for example, a preamp's
output is sometimes referred to as an active line level
because voltages typical vary from 1 to 10 volts. And in
the case of some tube equipment like Audio Research
XLR output can reach 50 volts. If a DJ board only had
single ended or XLR outputs which are used to drive
power amps, I would think that these types of active
(non-line level / 2 volts) outputs should be avoided, no?

If you're aiming to walk into clubs etc. and ask for a feed from the
desk you need an assortment of adapter cables and other equipment. If
there's a pair of XLR Line inputs on the camera, presumably there's
also a pair of XLR Mic inputs? I'd start off with a pair of DI boxes.
Place these near the desk and hook up whatever outputs are available.
Then run XLRs to the camera. This gives you input flexibility and a
ground lift - useful should you wish to run the camera on it's mains
power adapter.

Thank you. I'm researching Direct Boxes. It would seem
that an active box would be a better choice if one needs to
drive XLRs over a distance. I'm not thrilled about asking
the DJ for AC power for a space eating wallwart but a
battery power unit might work, if they are available.

Another option would be to place a A/D adaptor to USB at
the DJ mixer. But I'll be about 80' away. That would
require a USB repeater and 80' USB cable.