Mike Dobony

Default Powered Speakers?

"Neil" wrote in message
om...
" MS" wrote in message

"Neil" wrote in message
om...
Those were first sold under the Acoustic Research (AR) brand name,
then under the Advent brand name. Assuming they're discontinued, you
could probably eventually find a good used pair on eBay. Recoton owns
Advent now, I think, so you might use that info to search the web for
info and dealers.

I think Recoton has gone out of business. When I tried their web site

the
other day (www.recoton.com),

Now that you mention it, Recoton being in some trouble does sound
familiar.

always got a page not found message. Same thing
with www.adventaudio.com

Looking back at your posts, I see you're looking for powered speakers
for use "Sometimes in a large hall, a school auditorium. Sometimes
with school
choruses." The Powered Partners are really designed for desktop use,
although they'd probably be adequate in a classroom.

This audio group is really more about home audio gear (like for home
stereos) than the sort of gear you need. What you need is a small pro
sound system, like maybe a pair of powered PA or musical-instrument
speakers. Gear like that will be designed to put out much more sound
and be more rugged and easier to move than home audio gear.

I figure you could buy a pair of smallish powered PA speakers, then
use one or two of them at a time, depending on your needs. Another way
to go would be to get something like a one-piece guitar amp with a
speaker, which you can find in any pawn shop or music store. You'd
probably need something with at least one 12" speaker. There are also
keyboard amps like this, and I'm guessing they might have a slightly
cleaner sound than a guitar amp.

We just got done doing a sound install for a church with a sanctuary the
size of a basketball court, maybe just a little bit bigger. That is what I
do for a living, church sound installations. It needed a pair of 12's on
the side walls in front, a pair of 15's hanging from the ceiling in the
front, and a pair of 10's about half way back to fill the area with adequate
sound. Obviously this is more than MS needs, but in no way would a single
12 do very much for anybody except the front half of wherever the speaker is
pointed. A single 15 might in the middle behind and above the performers
might do a fair job for a room the size of a basketball court for what MS
intends. That would be pushing it. The keyboard amp needs to be extremely
big to fill such a room and again, where is it pointing and where is it
located? Put it on the left side of the stage and the right side is going
to be missing a lot of sound. Put it in the middle in front of the
performers and both front corners will be missing a lot of sound.

--
Mike D.

www.stopassaultnow.org

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

--
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors."
African proverb

Here are some examples. I used to work in a music store occasionally
many years ago and didn't sell these brands, so I can't really comment
on the following. These are just meant as examples:

http://www.peavey.com/products/

http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_...etails/item/00
490250/wc/2A2G/fam/2/tcode/2G/solo.cfm

http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_...etails/item/00
486070/wc/1A1B4/fam/1B/tcode/4/usti.cfm

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/mi/mi_prod.htm

My recommendation, given that your needs include playing "Sometimes in
a large hall, a school auditorium. Sometimes with school choruses" is
that you forget about desktop speakers like the Powered Partners, and
instead shop only in places that sell music and PA gear. Take your
keyboards and instruments with you and buy what sounds good to you and
is easy to carry. If the gear in the stores doesn't have wheels, ask
if they can be added.

Another way to go would be to plug into the schools' PA systems and/or
use a microphone held close to your instruments. But I think it would
be nice for you to have your own gear that you know well and are
comfortable with, so you don't have to count on each school having an
adequate and functioning PA system.

Two more thoughts:

Try rec.audio.pro

Use Google.com to search newsgroups and web. I'll bet there are other
teachers out there, as well as entertainers and church musicians,
who've been in your situation and tried and found some solutions.

And speaking collectively on behalf of myself and other parents, thank
you for bringing music and music education to schoolkids! When I was a
kid, my school system had a circuit-riding music teacher like you.
Without her, we would have had almost no music education at all. I
hope you realize that you're performing a very important job to all
your kids. Again, thanks!