Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Default pro microphones

On Sun 2012-Jul-29 21:08, Scott Dorsey writes:
Apologies for the double post, and thanks to those of you who posted helpfu=
l replies. To anyone else who is planning on posting
any more helpful replies, you should know that I won't be reading this forum
anymore, and I would hate for anyone to waste their time.

That's a shame, since I am kind of curious what the motivation
behind the assignment is.

I was sort of curious myself, as if the instructor gave him
no other info than he gave us then the instructor is truly
serving his students poorly imho. But, I'm thinking it was
just a guy looking to make demos in his basement and thought that the "I'm a student at a recording studio ... " approach might help him out.

I'm assuming it was an attempt to get students familiar with high
end microphones and what is out there. Which is kind of curious,
since I can think of better ways of doing that that might require a
bit more thought. --scott

I can too, I sure wouldn't be talking about recording
screamo type stuff to introduce students to higher end
microphones. A string quartet maybe.

But then again, I'd discuss all sorts of aspects of
microphones, have one student discuss what he'd want in the
mic locker for a film sound operation, or an orchestra in
(name your environment here) etc.

I can think of a lot better ways, and yes, maybe one of the
assignments for one student might be standard rock sessions
in the usual way, but I'd try to expose my students to a
variety of techniques and environments, and hopefully if one of my students came to a group such as this they'd be able
to formulate their question much better than this poor kid.

Whatever recording school this is, I think this kid needs to demand his money back.

Regards,
Richard