Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Significant differences in sound quality between hi and low-endconverters?

On 16/02/2017 9:05 AM, James Price wrote:
After listening to some blind tests from Ethan Winer and a few
others, it seems, at least to me, that differences between some of
the higher and lower end converters is fairly subtle. Of course, this
could be due to my monitoring, though I tend to think Mackie HR824's
would be suitable to differentiate any significant discrepancies.

For instance, a few samples Ethan recorded in 2010 pitted an Apogee
8000 against a $25 SoundBlaster. The differences seemed so negligible
as to be inconsequential to my ears.

Any thoughts?

Most converters these days are *SO* far ahead of any speakers (and
rooms, and human hearing) that listening for problems is rather
pointless. You can really only measure them.

Trevor.