Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

Default Significant differences in sound quality between hi and low-end converters?

After listening to some blind tests from Ethan Winer and a few others, it seems, at least to me, that differences between some of the higher and lower end converters is fairly subtle. Of course, this could be due to my monitoring, though I tend to think Mackie HR824's would be suitable to differentiate any significant discrepancies.

For instance, a few samples Ethan recorded in 2010 pitted an Apogee 8000 against a $25 SoundBlaster. The differences seemed so negligible as to be inconsequential to my ears.

Any thoughts?