Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

"What size room is best (for a listening room)?

To this question rec.audio FAQ answers: "For smoothest bass response,
a listening room should be as large as possible".
The FAQ also provides with ideal proportions of the room, speakers
position, etc, but it does not tell about the *minimum* requirements
for the size of a room that can still be accepted for decent listening
of hi-fi stereo...

Room size depends on what your tastes are. Contrary to popular belief, a
small room does not limit bass extension. In fact, a smaller room can
increase bass extension, particularly with smaller speakers.

I am living abroad at the moment and I have to rent a room. The one
that I have now is pretty small. I would like to buy a stereo (cd
player+amp+2 speakers) for about $1500 and I am considering if it
makes any sense to buy hi-fi if the room is so small - about 3m x 4m.

If your room ends up with a nasty sound due to standing waves, consider
adding bass traps - please see:
http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

Maybe I could rent a bigger room, but not too big because of terribly
high room prices in London...(I prefer to spend on hi-fi than on
rent, but on the other side I need the room of the right (?mx?m) size)

Another major issue relates to how well your neighbors can tolerate sound
transmission from your room.

Two questions:
1. What are the minimum room size requirements that can still be
accepted for a listening room?
2. Does it make any sense to buy a hi-fi for a temporary room when in
the future this hi-fi will be used in different room?

Thank you for your help!

Andrew