Mark D. Zacharias

Default Receiver Prob - Loose left channel at low volume

Just don't be too surprised if the amp blows up.
The technique may indeed work - but consider the common light bulb. At
power-on or power-off is the most common time for it to fail. Sudden
application or removal of voltage causes current surges, and output
transistors change their physical characteristics a bit from thermal
expansion/contracting as the piece warms up and cools down. This is normal
wear and tear to be sure, but be aware you may be accelerating the process
significantly.

Mark Z.

Repeat 30 times. At this
point, I'll bet your problem is gone.

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
. com...
In , on 12/11/03
at 12:32 PM, (Jeff) said:

[ ... ]

On low volumes I intermittantly loose my left channel - it kinda
fuzzes a bit and then goes off completely. If I turn up the volume it
comes back on.

[ ... ]

Assume it is caused by the protection relay until proven otherwise.
Some protection relays can be opened and cleaned, but it is tricky to
get the case off without breaking it. Replacing the relay is the best
solution, however ...

There is a devious way to deal with this problem. On a Saturday
afternoon when no one is around (they'll think you have lost any
remaining marbles that you may have owned in your youth), with the
speakers connected, play something that is active and highly
compressed, such as a rock-n-roll radio station. With the volume
control turned up very high, to just below the destruct point, turn the
power off. (the speakers *MUST* be playing at the instant you turn off
the power -- and there is no need to allow the music to play for more
than a fraction of a second at this volume) Repeat 30 times. At this
point, I'll bet your problem is gone.

In a few weeks, months, or years you may have to repeat the above.

To many, this procedure seems too simple and too bizarre to try. Many
years ago my engineer friends laughed when I described the procedure,
but after they though about it for a few seconds, they realized (duh!
-- smacking their heads) it is a valid technique and use it on their
own equipment.

spam:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)