Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Default What's with all these new SIXohm Stereo Speakers coming out?!

On 10/12/2014 12:31 a.m., Mark Zacharias wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
On 7/12/2014 1:01 p.m., Mark Zacharias wrote:

Trevor.

What I meant to suggest is that so-called "8-ohm" speakers have always
actually been closer to 5 or 6 ohms. Should have been clearer.

mz

That is equally false. An 8 ohm driver will often have a DC
RESISTANCE often around 6 ohms, but it's impedance will likely be very
different, and change with frequency.

Then throw in a crossover network and you'll have even wider variation.

geoff

Exactly. If you plot the impedance curve of an 8-ohm speaker, the
impedance will generally, but not always, drop below 5 ohms at
resonance. This has been true for over 40 years.

When I said impedance, I meant impedance, not DC resistance.

This is getting to be just tiresome nit-picking. You aren't even making
a distinction here, because I essentially said the SAME thing.

Mark Z.

"5 or 6 ohms" is a bit specific for impedance, - which could be over a
wider range. DC resistance is almost universally around 6.3
ohms....ish. But less "ish" than your impedance figure.

But we are splitting hairs, so let's drop it.

geoff