Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Default What's with all these new SIXohm Stereo Speakers coming out?!

On 8/12/2014 9:24 a.m., wrote:
geoff wrote: "3:17 PMgeoff
speakers since the mid-'70s (probably earlier) , your comment seemed to
imply that I thought your 8 ohm speakers were some sort of rarity.

Whereas since solid-state days 8 have been *the norm*, 4 lesser so, and
recently a few 6s have cropped up.

geoff "

Sorry if my comment in that thread was vague. Actually, I implied that you thought my 8-16ohm-accepting JVC receiver was some sort of rarity, or cheap.

So if I read your statement above correctly, it seems there is a centering of impedances between 6-8ohms recently, with 16 almost nonexistent and 4ohms becoming so.

No. 4 or 8 are the common specs, but the spec is for the minimum load
impedance, so ann amp specced at 8 ohms *may* have trouble with a 6 ohm
load on peaks, but a 4 ohm output won't have any problem at all..

And 16 doesn't matter - if your amp will do the lower ones, it'll be
just fine with a lesser load (= higher Z).

geoff