Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.misc,rec.audio.misc
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default creating an electromagnet using my Amp / AC signal tia sal22

"Rick T" wrote in message
Greetings All

I have a pt1100 amp with an impedance of 8 ohms rated at about (1000
watts output power)

**BZZZZTT! Wrong. Given the abscence of real specs, I would guess that your
amp can deliver no more than 50 Watts/channel.

and a toroidal electromagnet with the resistance
of about 1 ohm.

**Define "toroidal electromagnet". Electromagnets are NEVER toroidals. Are
you attempting to use a toroidal transformer as an electromagnet? You are
doomed to fail.

I'm doing an experiment with AC signals, audio and
toroidal coils.

**Why? What frequency?

I'm trying to see how much I can increase the
magnetism inside the toroidal coil basically a donut electromagnet
using AC signals.

**Won't work with AC signals. Go read a text book on the subject.

The steps I use:
I play a signal out my computer than it's amplified by the pt1100 amp
which is connected to the wire wound around a donut shape. Like this
http://www.codecogs.com/users/13108/img_em5.jpg

**That is not an electromagnet. It is a simple inductor.

The problem I'm having is after I play the signal with about an 1 amp
running through the wire the internal circuit breaker in the pt1100
amp gets tripped. Is there a way I can get all the amps to flow
through the wire without tripping the internal circuit breaker of the
pt1100 amp?

**You probably already are. Your pitifully crappy amplifier does not like
the abuse.

Please not that the goal is to get as much current to flow though the
wires of the toroidal coil as possible to create an electromagnet
without tripping the internal circuit breaker of the amp. At the
moment I can't increase the windings. I tried putting a ceramic
100ohm 10 watt resistor in series with the coil to see if that would
help but the change was barley noticeable .

I also tried making a glass water resistor but it looks like most of
the current was dropped in the water doing electrolysis.

And also I can't use DC at this point.

**Then stop wasting your time. Go study some texts on the subject.

PS: I'm using 18 gauge wire.

**Doesn't matter what you are using. Whatever you're trying to do is doomed
to fail. Well, unless you want to destroy your POS amplifier. On that
aspect, you are on track to succeed.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au