Sam Byrams

Default Question on the Type of Wood Used in Speaker Construction and Effect on Sound

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message . ..
On 1 Jun 2004 17:53:03 -0700, (Detector195)
wrote:

(Sam Byrams) wrote in message . com...
For whatever reason, MDF is actually not a good sounding speaker
material and cabs from multi-ply laminated wood, such as piano pin
block stock, offer many of the theoretical benefits of MDF while
providing better mechanical ruggedness, repairability, appearance and
they "seem to sound better"-no A/B/X proof, just seems to. Maybe it's
my imagination.

duPont Corian is a cool and underutilized material as well. The
Japanese use it in some of their nifty, but too heavy to
cost-effectively import, cabs for classic coax drivers such as the
Altec 604, which I consider to be the "Marilyn Monroe of speakers".

What, you mean fat, slow and liable to die suddenly? :-)

You'd be liable to die suddenly too if someone shot half a pint of
pure Nembutal up your rear end. As far as fat and slow-see the
swimming pool scene from her last film, which AMC paid (a bundle) to
build out as far as they could from what footage there is. At 36, she
was the ultimate naked, wet, and slightly cold (obviously!) female.
Back then, guys who wanted 'hardbodies' would be referred to the NFL.

Well, I can say one thing. MDF is a disaster waiting to happen with
portable speakers -- it swells up when it gets rained on. I always got
satisfactory results with homemade cabs when I used the regular 3/4
birch plywood from Home Depot, though I felt compelled to steer around
the voids.

Agreed, and marine plywood is even more impervious to abuse,
especially if heavily varnished.

Marine ply is the way to go, unless you fill the voids with
something, which is more time than it's worth. Corian is available in
sizes needed by amateur speaker builders as off-fall, and to
professional companies under license: I've never had a problem
sourcing it with cash in hand.