Dave Platt

Default Question on the Type of Wood Used in Speaker Construction and Effect on Sound

In article ,
Detector195 wrote:

duPont Corian is a cool and underutilized material as well. The
Japanese use it in some of their nifty, but too heavy to
cost-effectively import, cabs for classic coax drivers such as the
Altec 604, which I consider to be the "Marilyn Monroe of speakers".

Considering how much Corian costs, I'm not surprised it's "underused".
I've been told that you pretty much pay for it by the cubic inch,
and that it's very difficult to get ahold of it except as part of
a formal installation by a licensed dealer/installer.

Allegedly, duPont doesn't like the idea of it being installed by
anyone not trained to their standard, on the grounds that it's fairly
easy to mess up an installation (and thus, I presume, they're afraid
of having Corian's good name as a "premium" product damaged by having
people see botched jobs).

I've heard that there are somewhat-similar products from other
manufacturers (essentially finely powdered rock dust in a resin
of some sort) and these might be easier to source.

MDF is heavy enough - I built a set of floordstanding semitower
systems 4' tall, with single-thickness 3/4" MDF for most of the
walls and double-thickness for the front plate. With this much
MDF, plus some internal walls and braces, they're so heavy that
they're at the limit of my ability to move them safely without
assistance. I shudder to think what Corian-based cabs of the
same size would weigh!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO