Detector195

Default Question on the Type of Wood Used in Speaker Construction and Effect on Sound

(Richard Kuschel) wrote in message ...
Subject: Question on the Type of Wood Used in Speaker Construction and
Effect on Sound
From:
(Detector195)
Date: 5/26/04 9:12 PM Mountain Daylight Time
(Chu Gai) wrote in message
.com...

and the rear.. I once made a xylephone from different species of wood,
the keys all the same size as an experiment. 5 octaves were covered
just from locally growing trees.

I looked up the properties of different woods in the CRC Handbook of
Chemistry and Physics. There is a fair amount of variation in density
and Young's modulus, but not enough to account for 5 octaves. And if
the keys are made out of wood, it's called a marimba.

Nope, a Xylophone is by built with wood bars.

It is in a different pitch range than a Marimba.

Back to speakers, You do not want the box to resonate and 1-1/2 " particle
board will work very well for a speaker box.

If you want it to look nice, just apply wood veneer.
Richard H. Kuschel

Dang, you got me. I was thinking of a vibraphone.

Amusingly enough, my bass amplifier is in a cabinet made from 1/8 inch
steel panels. You can hear the resonance when you knock on it, but it
still sounds just fine.