Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Default Sony Mex-1GP

MOSFET wrote:
I think that's TOO COOL. I have not yet seen this unit and I think the idea
of incorporating a flash drive into the face-plate is brilliant.

One gigabyte is certainly a lot of storage (more than a CD-R full of MP3's).
10-20 gigs, of course, would have been better. Many people are looking for
head-units with built in HD's so they can store their ENTIRE music
collection on their HU (head unit).

If this idea catches on (incorporating a flash drive in the faceplate), I
expect we will see larger and larger storage capability (flash drive cards
get larger and cheaper every day it seems, now they have 4 gig SD cards, I
can't get over how they can squeeze so much memory in such a tiny space!!!).

So I fear the only drawback of such a HU is that by next year, for the same
price, Sony will have a similar unit with 3-4 gig (or more!) capability
(this is what happens when you are an "early adopter").

But having said all this, it is still a truly COOL idea and I expect you
will be very happy with the Mex 1GP.

That IS cool. Much slicker than having a USB or CF/SD slot, although not as
flexible (you could carry a good-sized library on multiple flash cards or thumb
drives).

One idea might be if they COMBINED an HDD-based HU with a flash-memory FP, and
the system could then copy the files off the FP onto the internal HDD. A
flip-down faceplate with a full-depth card slot behind it would be cool too (so
the slots are hidden normally, and the card not sticking out when in use).