Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

Default recording LPs

On Jan 23, 1:30*am, Bret L wrote:
*Apparently the cog-no-scenti call this a "needledrop".

*I never do this myself, preferring good digital sound in most cases
and just playing the record in those others. But the hardware needed
is a good preamp, a good sound card and some careful level matching
plus a software package, Audacity as good as any.

*I don't actively collect vinyl but will scarf up certain things,
particularly industrial training, vocational and church organ demo
records.

Agreed. I get people asking me about needledrops all the time, but I
enjoy listening to vinyl on a turntable. I've had some nifty equipment
to do it over the last couple of years (I just sold a Korg MR-1000 on
eBay, which was really fun but overkill), but I just didn't see the
point.

Besides, it's not like tranferring digital, where bits are bits. The
needledrop will only be as good as your analog rig, and if you don't
have a decent one your needledrops will sound worse than a CD. It
kills me that people buy those plastic Ion TTs and think they're all
set.

I know I've said it before, but all of the LPs in my collection play.
Not all of my CDs do. A single scratch or smudge and a CD won't play
at all. And then there's CD rot.