Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

Default recording LPs

"Coconuts" wrote in message
This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be about 6
participants. Everyone has been very helpful and nice to me, but you all
seem to hate one or more of the others. Unusual group, but you all seem to
have some audio expertise. So here goes...

Do any of you record LPs on your computer? What's the best software for
recording, cleaning, slicing and dicing the audio?

You have many options. At home, I use an EMU 1212
card, a tube vinyl stage built in my own workshop, and
Cool Edit Pro (CEP -now called Audition)

I clean the vinyl first with a cleaning machine, and do
wet transfers. This takes care of 80% of the light
artefacts. I make a note of any clicks during the
transcription and remove these manually later.
CEP has Noise reduction/Declick options which
work well.

I usually top and tail individual titles with a suitable
fade in and out as required. I also remove the scroll
between tracks and replace this with 4 secs silence.

With care, you can achieve impressive results.
Good luck

Iain